225 engine spraying oil

-

73flamindust

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster that has a 225 slant six, on a trip back home my duster ran good. but when I got to the destination we lifted up the hood and seen that oil was sprayed all over, we cant figure out where its coming from, we thought it was the coil, the oil sending unit. we don't see any leaking while it runs or turned off.

on another note the valve cover breather let oil into my air breather would that have any cause in my problem

also its spraying on the passenger side of the engine bay

Check your PCV hose and valve, if the hose collapses or valve is stuck the crank case would build up pressure and start blowing out oil.

The valve cover beather is supposed to send the excess crankcase oil vapors into the air cleaner at larger throttle openings; under those circumstances, there is very little vacuum in the manifold and the vapors go into the air cleaner to be eventually burned. If the PCV system is not working, then the vapors will go into the air cleaner much more than they should.

In addition to the above suggestions, it is very common for the PCV system to get plugged up where the PVC hose goes into the carb base. Makes sure you check there too.

The breather(s) are where the air is allowed in to the crankcase, the PCV valve/ hose connected to the manifold is where the gases are evacuated(sucked out). If you have oil entering the air cleaner you either have a blocked PCV system(on the vacuum side) or more crankcase gasses than the system can handle & it's backing up into the air cleaner. Blow-by from worn rings, that kind of thing.

It's not uncommon for vehicles with excess crankcase pressure (blow-by), to not only blow oil out the breather, but also the dipstick tube, at high rpm, ..

hope it helps..

-
Back