225 oil pan modifications

-
How much simulated oil(water I guess) are you putting in the oil pan when you do your slosh test? Not all 5 quarts will be in the deep part of the sump with the engine running.
I agree that oil moves around in the pan under hard acceleration and turns.
Racers and performance engine designers have been putting fences, one way doors and swinging oil pump pickups to keep the pickup submerged probably as long as racing has been around.
This is one of those deals where about anything done will help. Just keep good clearance for the crankshaft and rods.

I probably put about 5 quarts but i was thinking about that too since the engine would be running, its not gonna have all the 5 quarts in the pan.

I do know this, of all the /6s made (a million?) and how long they last (400,000 miles) I don’t see any need for oil pan modifications. We ain’t talking a 800 hp Hellcat engine here.

I do know this, of all the /6s made (a million?) and how long they last (400,000 miles) I don’t see any need for oil pan modifications. We ain’t talking a 800 hp Hellcat engine here.

I figure if I can make an engine more efficient even if there’s noticeable design flaws why not!

I probably put about 5 quarts but i was thinking about that too since the engine would be running, its not gonna have all the 5 quarts in the pan.
I figure 3 is a good guess in the pan when running. Possibly even a tad less. Figure one in the filter, plus "whatever" is in the pickup and pump, as well as the oil galleys and in the top of the engine.

I agree. I think all of Chrysler's engines were well designed in the oiling department. I've seen a lot of people through the years go to a LOT of trouble modifying oiling systems and IMO only a handful of them were really needed.

Last edited:
Back in the '70s, when they destroked the 340 to 305 so they could run the engine in Transam. They found a problem with the oiling in the upper rpm ranges. Something like 7500 rpm. The fix was a cross over tube from one oil galley to the other one. The holes had to be drilled at specific angles, etc.

For what it is worth I put together a 318 in the late '70s that I regularly ran to 7200 rpm without any problems. But then I was aware of the above limitations. The engine was a basic DC engine with a 340 crank. So it was strong enough for the abuse.

Every engine has there limitations, some of them may not have been found yet. The \6 may have a limitation on how much oil is needed to oil the cylinders and cam lobes and we just don't know it yet.

And I think I will stop stealing this message thread.

Last edited:
Back in the '70s, when they destroked the 340 to 305 so they could run the engine in Transam. They found a problem with the oiling in the upper rpm ranges. Something like 7500 rpm. The fix was a cross over tube from one oil galley to the other one. The holes had to be drilled at specific angles, etc.

For what it is worth I put together a 318 in the late '70s that I regularly ran to 7200 rpm without any problems. But then I was aware of the above limitations. The engine was a basic DC engine with a 340 crank. So it was strong enough for the abuse.

Every engine has there limitations, some of them may not have been found yet. The \6 may have a limitation on how much oil is needed to oil the cylinders and cam lobes and we just don't know it yet.

And I think I will stop stealing this message thread.
I’ve been looking for that article on that fix for awhile, no luck yet. Iirr it was John Diannas S/S Duster back in early 79s

The SB crossover line is covered in the DC/MP racing manuals, & about every book written about modding them for the last 40+ years. Hydraulic lifters can experience bleed-down at 7K+ extended levels, usually You can hear a few ticking on the return after a drag pass, it's not normally a terminal issue as above right around 7K.

The SB crossover line is covered in the DC/MP racing manuals, & about every book written about modding them for the last 40+ years. Hydraulic lifters can experience bleed-down at 7K+ extended levels, usually You can hear a few ticking on the return after a drag pass, it's not normally a terminal issue as above right around 7K.
I’ll have to look again then. I have just about every book put out there, must have overlooked it.

I’ll have to look again then. I have just about every book put out there, must have overlooked it.
If I get time, I'll see if I can find & snap them. I'll tag Ya & post them in the smallblock forum.

I saw that utg video too, it brought up a question, if the oil pan design is so out of whack that it causes failures why do the /6's run forever and are revered for their rock solid rep?

I'm not buying it. The crank hitting the oil in the pan turns it to foam and can end up starving the engine since the pump is designed to pump liquid, not aerated oil. The pump cannot and will not pump foam, I don't care who endorses it. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. I've never heard of such. Nitro cars? most of those have dry sump oiling to help keep oil OFF the crank. You can SEE the external belt driven oil pumps right on them. I've never heard of such.

I think he's referring to the old days. I didn't read this thread really close, so that may be redundant reply.

I saw that utg video too, it brought up a question, if the oil pan design is so out of whack that it causes failures why do the /6's run forever and are revered for their rock solid rep?

It all depends on what you're doing with it. Dead stock, they live forever. Add a 1k nitrous shot, and things will need to be changed to keep up!

For me, if I'm that worried about it, I'd make it a dry sump and be done with it.

I looked at a truck pan that extends deep to front. Cut out the K-Frame to accommodate then do the big block thing lower it more and make the tube thru it for draglink.

-
Back