225 power rebuild?

-

Exjouster

Reaction score
Hi all!
Well, my 225 is getting to needing a rebuild or replacement, so I’m looking for suggestions to get the most bang for the buck. I like my slant six, so prefer to try to make it fast and cool as opposed to swapping it out for a 360. With that being said, I’d like to get a build making a hp per cube, or maybe a bit more, shooting for 225-250 if natural aspiration, over 300 if I go to some kind of boost.

Here is the current setup:
1967 Barracuda convertible
225 with a Clifford 6=8 package (Clifford intake, Edelbrock 500, Clifford cam, split headers, dual exhaust)
Stock 904 transmission, 7.25 rear with 3.91 gears, 235/70r15 tires on the back.
Car is basically an occasional weekend cruiser, but would like to have more fun stoplight to stoplight, and maybe try her on a 1/4 mile once or twice.
I don’t give a damn about mileage, just want it good for street.

I know, I’ll eventually break the rear end with the 7.25, but will cross that bridge when I get there.

I live near Tampa, FL, and so far none of the shops have much interest in trying to build a slant, and the only two that do are only interested in basic rebuilds for around 5k. I’ve never built an engine before, so think it’s probably a bit above my skill level, especially since I got nobody to help me with any of it.

So, thinking of sending it out for lots of head work. Oversized valves, heavier springs, porting, polishing.

Block, I’d like to go to Wiseco flat-tops (maybe .045 overbore?), Molnar rods, and need a really nasty cam.

Prolly keep the existing intake, carb, and exhaust…..but might like to consider someday going to either an Aussie speed blower manifold (Eaton blower, maybe?), or a Torqstorm blower. Would such things be compatible if I build the engine with a higher compression??

Another possibility is a Mabbco rebuilt long block with their “muscle camshaft”, (they don’t give out specs) and flat-top stock size pistons, but they won’t do any overbores.

So, suggestions, please? Stock torque converter ok, or do I need something different for that? Any good shops to talk to for head/engine work? Anyone local want to join in on the fun?

Maybe check the search function and see what already has been written about.
Lots of good info there.

Hi all!
Well, my 225 is getting to needing a rebuild or replacement, so I’m looking for suggestions to get the most bang for the buck. I like my slant six, so prefer to try to make it fast and cool as opposed to swapping it out for a 360. With that being said, I’d like to get a build making a hp per cube, or maybe a bit more, shooting for 225-250 if natural aspiration, over 300 if I go to some kind of boost.

225 with a Clifford 6=8 package (Clifford intake, Edelbrock 500, Clifford cam, split headers, dual exhaust)
Car is basically an occasional weekend cruiser, but would like to have more fun stoplight to stoplight, and maybe try her on a 1/4 mile once or twice.

I know, I’ll eventually break the rear end with the 7.25, but will cross that bridge when I get there.

I live near Tampa, FL, and so far none of the shops have much interest in trying to build a slant, and the only two that do are only interested in basic rebuilds for around 5k. I’ve never built an engine before, so think it’s probably a bit above my skill level, especially since I got nobody to help me with any of it.

So, thinking of sending it out for lots of head work. Oversized valves, heavier springs, porting, polishing.

Block, I’d like to go to Wiseco flat-tops (maybe .045 overbore?), Molnar rods, and need a really nasty cam.

Prolly keep the existing intake, carb, and exhaust…..but might like to consider someday going to either an Aussie speed blower manifold (Eaton blower, maybe?), or a Torqstorm blower. Would such things be compatible if I build the engine with a higher compression??

Another possibility is a Mabbco rebuilt long block with their “muscle camshaft”, (they don’t give out specs) and flat-top stock size pistons, but they won’t do any overbores.

So, suggestions, please? Stock torque converter ok, or do I need something different for that? Any good shops to talk to for head/engine work? Anyone local want to join in on the fun?
When it comes to /6 the head is the biggest cork on power, I'd put most of my attention $$$$ towards that, I like the idea of adding a torqstorm.

You'll need someone with a happy flow bench and an even happier dyno for those N/A numbers.

Hi all!

It's a shame we weren't a bit closer ! I've still got a head that's been shaved .090 with a set of 1.70 / 1.44 valves and 340 springs !

It's a shame we weren't a bit closer ! I've still got a head that's been shaved .090 with a set of 1.70 / 1.44 valves and 340 springs !
Well heck, I'm in Georgia. LMAO

DONT go 360!!!!!! I answered you at the /6 site already.

Most bang for buck
run it on propane,
Impco or OHG 450 cfm proper gas carburettor (they fit holley 4bbl thottle/base) and by their nature are already sealed....boost ready

turbo

Propane has nice octane numbers.. better than pump gas
slants don't have massive static CR
need an LPG cam to save your valve seats
need a rising rate regulator for the gas carb plumbed into boost
water heated regulator if you live in a cold or humid place. stop it iceing up
you will need to find an oil feed for the turbo, some messing with restrictors in that pipe and then plumb a drain into the sump.

No i haven't done it... :) this was a reasonably popular thing in australia about 20 years ago
considred an easy way into a turbo slant becasue minimal work was needed on the basic engine and the gas carb could be fitted to the bottom throttle plate from a range of 2bbl and 4 bbl carbs.

OHG and Impco both seemed to sell lots of propane/LPG carbs in Canada,well thats where some of the aussies were getting their spares from.

well.... it would be different...... :)

-
Back