225 slant 6 or 360 v8

-
Please elaborate replicarracer43. im not arguing with you im pretty inexperienced and i wanna hear your input.

It's already been pretty clearly explained if you read through the replies....especially AJs post.....a naturally aspirated slant six capable or running low 14s or high 13s in a typical 3100lb a body will be a temperamental engine and not much fun...

Okay. i get what your saying. I thought you were talking about lack of power to a v8 but what your saying seems true. The only upside is that i wont drive very far but the weather in pa can be unpredictable at times which only makes things worse. do you think by putting a better mannered cam in it, it would solve some drivability issues. The main reason i was so drawn in was because in had 10:1 cr and all the head work done which is expensive. but i have a super 6 intake right now with a holley 2bbl and leave the stock exhaust manifold and change the cam i should be able to get much better than stock performance but definitely not a 14 second car. then i could save up for a 5.9 magnum 727 maybe even a 5.7 hemi if i work enough lol... that could run 12s... but im still in high school so that would be in about 5-7 years. the little slanty should be able to hold me over. thank youn for the help

Tune up what you have, maybe swap on the super six parts and have a nice exhaust system installed....not a lot of money, then enjoy the car till you can afford a basic 5.2/5.9 magnum swap. No way I'd spend a grand on someone else's slant, especially if I allready owned one

I think im gonna try to buy the worked head from him and put in a little cam and call it quits. maybe $500 for all that. a little performance to hold me over thats all. ill have 10:1 compression and big valves but a smaller cam and carb so i should get decent streetability and okay performance

The slant six is plenty capable of 14s.

Thanks for your opinion. you are right though... it is less streetable. but the PO did use it as a daily driver and i live 1.5 miles from school so its not that bad. now what your saying is right that it a mild v8 will have better street manners. but rn i found a really good deal so i think im gonna take it. the cam is an erson cam [email protected] 108lsa 510 lift... so way more aggressive than stock no question. and the PO did tell me he ran very low 14s, but my car is lighter so i should be in the high 13s depending on my gear. And right now the biggest reason im going with the slant is because i just think its cool and different to have a hot 6 cylinder

Well that's a whole new way of thinking.
But I gotta tell you low 14s and mid-8s are not generally run by the same set-up. This shows just how pipey that slanty must be. It seems to do pretty good in the 1/8th,But when it shifts into 3rd, the jig is up.
Here is something else to think about;It is unlikely that that 10.5 slanty will be anything but detonation-prone with a smaller cam; the Dcr will go out of sight pretty quickly.
And driving just 1.5 miles to school on a cold engine, twice a day, will be tremendously hard on the rings and cylinder walls.And the muffler. And the colder it gets, the worse it will be.And letting it idle for any period of warm up beyond the bare minimum is also hard on the poor rings.
The vast majority of ring and cylinder wear, occurs during the warm-up period and on short trips. You need an EFI car. A throw-away car. Cuz in 5 to 7 years of such abuse, the slanty will be done.And she may still be on the first oil change interval.Do the math; 3 miles a day,5 days a week, for 40wks per year, and 5 years, equals 3000 miles.
So the question is; is it worth it to you, to totally wear out a $1000 race engine in 3000 miles? Heck of a deal? You could probably buy a good running Sunfire for less. And throw it away when you are done. And probably drive 4 or more times as far on the same gas.

Last edited:
I love toolng down the road in one of my slantys, tooling I said. I have faster stuff for more fun! ha BUT........
you might consider this. if I remember right you said the worked over slant will cost ya $1000. check out the threads on the magnum. add it all up and figure the easy power there. I would sure check all that info out.

-
Back