225 Slant Six Oil Smells like gas

-

CMaddux92

Reaction score
when I look at the oil cap on my 68 Valiant I can see moisture and it smells like gas. my fuel pump looks wet with gas on it also. what should I check first? Ive had some people tell me it could be running rich or it could be the fuel pump leaking gas into the engine since the fuel pump is mounted on the side of the motor. How hard of a job is it to change a fuel pump on this slant six?

I'n not sure about the gas in the oil problem and if the fuel pump would be a cause but I would rent for free from Autozone, Orielly or napa a compression tester, test the headgasket. As far as the fuel pump change, its pretty easy, less than an hour, a couple bolts, a couple lines and youre done. Just make sure you index the fuel arm correctly, when you pull the old one, match the arm of the new one to the position of the old one.

your fuel pump diaphram has a hole in it and is leaking into the crank case. Replace the fuel pump and replace the oil ASAP.

The inside of your engine will be nice and clean now.

Gas in the oil can be a few things, I would try getting the compression checked. Then follow through with the fuel pump diaphragm having a hole in it if not, then see if you have a cracked head, a bad head gasket, or even worse a cracked block...As a small crack in a oil passage to the cylinder can lead the gas into the oil......

Forgot to mention, does it smoke when running? could need rings too this will allow gas into the oil if the rings are shot.

it is the fuel pump. change the fuel pump, oil & filter and be done. Then check the compression if you want.

It would have to be running very rich (black smoke from tail-pipe), plus have bad rings to get gas in the oil from poor compression. Pull the PCV valve off the valve cover and see how much puffing and fumes you get from the hole. That would indicate "blow-by" past the rings. Most likely the fuel pump diaphragm is leaking.

-
Back