225 slant6 to 318.

-

19plymouth72

Reaction score
I need a new engine and i figured i might aswell try the v8 swap though i do know the potential of the slant 6 i love a v8. I saw an add for a 318 from a pontiac and was wondering if that was the same as the mopar 318. Also if anyone knows the logistics of the swap aside from the motor mounts/kmember. Im looking for more infomation on drive shaft and rear end. i know you can use the 904 and i already have one. but will the 8.25 rearend and stock drive shaft from the slant work with the 318 v8?

unrelated: i had a shop do my alignment a while back and the tech said that my passenger side torsion bar is all the way lifted and is hitting my frame. He then went on to tell me that if i tried to back off the bolt it would collapse. Any opinions ?

Sorry i know its a lot for one post and its all kind of mixed up but im hoping to get this figured out as soon as possible.

Oh and if anyone would like to shoot a ballpark price that would be cool.

Hi. Welcome. Pontiac isn't the same. You need a V8 tranny. 8 1/4 fine, along with drive shaft. You'll need adapting motor mounts or a change in K frame. You'll need a V8 radiator. Fairly simple, Good Luck

Prices vary from shop to shop, region to region.

I never heard of a Pontiac 318 engine.

For the swap, you need the Schmaucher swap mounts or the Trans adapt mounts. This is a year dependent thing.
So now you don't have to swap K frames.

The MoPar transmissions do not swap between engine families. In other words, you need a V8 trans. The /6 trans will not bolt up to the V8.

If you use the same trans as the /6 has, in example the /6 has a 904 trans, then the driveshaft will fit right in. If you swap to a 727, it is a different length.

The rear end size is also important to this. If you all ready have an 8-1/4, leave it, it will accept the driver veshaft if you didn't change transmissions around. (727 - 904 vice versa)

Or more simply stated, if I understand this correctly, your car is a /6, 904 & a 8-1/4 rear. If you stay with a 904 trans and 8-1/4 rear with the V8 swap, the driveshaft will fit.

The transmissions all get mounted to the same exact spot no matter the engine size.

unrelated: i had a shop do my alignment a while back and the tech said that my passenger side torsion bar is all the way lifted and is hitting my frame. He then went on to tell me that if i tried to back off the bolt it would collapse. Any opinions ?
Time for a major inspection. and the V8 will want bigger T-bars anyway.
Pull that bad side apart completely and check the LCA lower bushing and socket in the K; also the rear socket in the Trans crossmember,as well as everything else.

Where are my manners, yes, welcome

Last edited:
A fine example of the great members here, welcome aboard

Crud! Forgot to mention, T bars do wear out. They could be ready for a change.

-
Back