225 to 360 swap

-
Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this has been addressed numerous times but here we go again. I have a '74 duster with the good ol' slant 6. The duster is great and gets lots of looks when people realize it's a slant car. The only problem is that the performance just isn't there with the little six cylinder. Even though it has an offy intake, holly 4 barrel and hooker headers. I've recently been offered a 360 with the tranny still attached for an unbelievable price. :-D This motor was in a 70' duster that was running 2 years ago and replaced with a year correct 340. The 360 is supposed to be a police interceptor motor (if there is such a thing). My question is: other than motor mounts/ k frame, driveshaft, radiator and a bigger rear end, what else will i have to change to fit the 360 in my duster? Will i have to change the tranny crossmember? Also what kind of price range am i looking at for the parts needed? Thanks in advance.

Blackhawk,

What transmission is behind the 360? If it is a 904, you shouldnt have to change the tranny mount. When I swapped everything over in my Dart ( 225 to 318 ) it really didn't cost me much. The biggest expense was the motor mounts ( I went with schumacher conversion mounts).

I have no idea what tranny is behind the 360. I haven't laid eyes on the 360 combo yet. I'll probably pick up the combo just because of the price. If it has a 727 behind 360 I assume I'll have to get different tranny mounts?

Thanks stroker! Good link, an end all.

The 360 is supposed to be a police interceptor motor (if there is such a thing).
No such thing. If it were a cop car engine, it would be the same as a HP engine in other cars. (Like a E-58 engine for example)

My question is: other than motor mounts/ k frame, driveshaft, radiator and a bigger rear end, what else will i have to change to fit the 360 in my duster?

Your allready changing to much, see link above and my Duster build that I'm no longer doing here --> http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

The drive sahft may need to be shorten a tad if you go from a 904 to a 727 and then a bit more with the rear upgrade. A 8-1/4 is good and cheap while a 9-3/4 is excellent, strong as heck, but a bit pricey.

The rad is a great idea, even more so if your pumping up the 360.

Will i have to change the tranny crossmember? Also what kind of price range am i looking at for the parts needed
Trans cross member can stay, correct mount to be used if need be for trans change.

Total cost of this is something you can mostly figure out. It would be based on psrts only that you choose and then remember the small things like saw blades and gasket sealent. Maybe tool rental? IDK whatcha got.

-
Back