225 valve adjustment

-

knoxroc4x4

68 Dart
Reaction score
I just got done doing a valve adjustment on my 68 dart, befor i started it sounded like a deisel, i adjusted it to .010 for intake and .020 for exhaust i also hade to turn down the idle. after that it was real quiet. i drove it about 15 miles and after i stoped i noticed it was ticking again, still not as loud as it was before but is that a tryal and error process or are slant six just a noisy motor? this is my first slant six

you may need to go over the adjustment again some time in the future (if the ticking persists) sometimes the adjuster themselves wont stay put after you adjust them. threads loose their interferience fit. I guess its easy enough to check on a slant but a pain to keep pulling off the cover. THe old solid lifter slants were just a bit noisy though but not too bad with a good valve adjustment. This is from what I can remember from the slants I have owned. (current one has a hydro cam, it was quiet 'til a valve spring broke)

I remember adjusting mine years ago while it was warm and running, as per the fsm.
It never had to be adjusted again, and it stayed quiet.

The adjustor screws grow loose in the rocker arms with years and miles. If you can't or won't replace the worn parts, you can restore a tighter interference thread fit by removing the adjustor screws, boogering up the threads a bit with the knurled jaws of a bench vise or some carefully placed taps of a ball peen hammer, then reinstalling. It should be difficult to turn the adjustor screws in the rocker arms when adjusting the valves. More info here.

O
The adjustor screws grow loose in the rocker arms with years and miles. If you can't or won't replace the worn parts, you can restore a tighter interference thread fit by removing the adjustor screws, boogering up the threads a bit with the knurled jaws of a bench vise or some carefully placed taps of a ball peen hammer, then reinstalling. It should be difficult to turn the adjustor screws in the rocker arms when adjusting the valves. More info here.

Good info thanks Dan

Aaron

thanks guys that link helped i didnt realize you had to adjust it while it was running . ill try that now.
Im realy liking the slant six its a easy motor to work on and a strong runin motor. someone told me the other day , at the end of the world there wil be 2 things couch roaches and slant 6's

Thank you for the info dan. Very thorough explaination on link. Will probably set Fern's today.:glasses7:

-
Back