225 with cracked block

-

flamejockey

Reaction score
Bought this car in July with no hint of a leak. After putting a few hundred miles on it I see it seeping from a crack drivers side lower front. About at the lower extreme of the water jacket. I have tried two different variations of the nano-particle stop leak with no success. I'm really looking for something that will allow me to drive this even if I have to repeat the every now and then. Changing blocks is not something I would care to do. The crack is behind the 2nd header pipe about in line with the tranny cooling lines.

Attachments

• CIMG0083.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 309
Need a closer picture of the crack...
I would cut a v groove over the crack,sand,grind and put JB Weld(orginal formula) in the groove.
Drain motor of antifreeze and clean the area to be epoxied really good.(Acetone,lacquer thinner or brake cleaner)
Google it ,several people have repaired cracks with it.Including me on a old ford I had when I was a kid.
You will be surprise how long that will hold up.
Good luck

I dealt with this with a 383 block I cracked by leaving water in it while flushing. I had drained the radiator, but failed to unscrew the block drains. The silicate sealers worked for a while. Perhaps best to bypass the radiator and heater core so you don't clog them, use a lot of sealant, and be careful not to overheat it. Just idle it once in a while to keep the heat up. Then you must drain all water and let it dry to set, similar to pottery glaze. Another approach I was going to try was high-temp Loc-tite.

They got this stuff at my industrial supply house that mixes with what looks like iron filings and its supposed to be pretty freaking incredible. Like a super glue/filler/accelerator mix that sets in 10-15 seconds. Dries looking like black sandstone. Dont know heat rating but there is alot of good stuff out there now that you can use externally, no the pour in garbage. If you can see the crack and its accessible, drill the ends of the crack with a small drill bit so it stops spreading, then grind out a V to bare metal and fill with whatever you use.

Bought this car in July with no hint of a leak. After putting a few hundred miles on it I see it seeping from a crack drivers side lower front. About at the lower extreme of the water jacket. I have tried two different variations of the nano-particle stop leak with no success. I'm really looking for something that will allow me to drive this even if I have to repeat the every now and then. Changing blocks is not something I would care to do. The crack is behind the 2nd header pipe about in line with the tranny cooling lines.

You sure it's not a core plug leak? because there is a core plug right where you said it's leaking.

Thanks for all the info everybody. I'm in FL right now and won't get back to this for a couple of months. As to the freeze plug, this is a straight line crack that is lower than the plugs. Also I should have said that the crack is behind the third header tube not the second.

Thinking more about freeze plug, I wonder if the coolant could be traveling under the paint then seeping out? Grasping at straws here.

could be, my brother thought the block in his truck was cracked, he got a engine and when we pulled the old one, it was the core plug even tho it did look like a crack in the block below it.

-
Back