24" or 36" 318 throttle cable?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what length throttle cable i need for my 318 4 bbl setup? I have an Edelbrock carb, performer intake on my 318 engine('71 dart). my local parts guy said that they carry universal throttle cables in 24" and 36" lengths. which one do i need for my application?

It's just the part number bracket that screws on to the side of the AFB.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1481/overview/

I would also suggest using something, like the LoKar kickdown cable conversion.

You can find original 340 stuff, or also use factory, late model 318, or make your own kickdown linkage from the 2bbl stuff, but you have to play with the geometry quite a bit, to make sure the kickdown is doing what it should at every throttle position, to give the trans the proper line pressure that the kickdown linkage also regulates at different throttle positions.

These are the most user friendly, if you've got an automatic and you don't want to scour 2nd hand parts or fab stuff.-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd-2727ht/overview/

I made my own from 2bbl stuff and the hardware store random junk stock, it works how it should and looks janky, but it's going away once the 4spd is going in.

okay, so i went down to the local parts store and bought lokar kick down linkage and lokar throttle linkage. here's my issue now…. i am having trouble mounting/securing the throttle linkage to the firewall. have any of you encountered this issue? if so, what did you do to correct the problem?

How does the cable linkage mount to the firewall?

The factory uses an e clip over the shouldered boot that goes through.

Which throttle kit do you have? What is the model number on the packaging?

the linkage has two hex shaped nuts that thread onto a steel bar. The problem i am facing is that neither fit through the throttle pedal assembly. I called my local car parts store and they stated that i don't even need to secure the cable to the firewall. I played around with it a little more just now and it clearly is not working properly while being fastened to the carburetor side in the bracket. Just for reference, the clamp on the firewall side looks identical to the carburetor side only no linkage on the end for the throttle body.

I installed my Lokar throttle cable in about thirty minutes, it's really pretty simple. First you have to realize that it's a universal kit, not specifically made for your car.

Take the swivel end off of the cable (it will not be used), this will allow you to take the nut off. Feed the cable in from the engine compartment and put the nut on the inside and tighten them up sandwiching the firewall in between. My gas pedal had a slot with a plastic plug in it. Take the plug out and stick the cable into the gas pedal lever and replace the plug so that the cable can not come loose. Hook the other end to your carb per the instructions that came with the kit.

x2.

It sounds like all of the LoKar throttle cables have the same ends on them. That's how the one installed on another car that I did. The plastic plug on the pedal would need to come out for it to go through.

i understand hooking up the linkage to the carburetor side and hooking up the end of the cable to the gas pedal assembly. what i don't understand is how to attach the hex shaped bolts to the fire wall. first, the fire wall hole is much too big to fit the bolts around. Second, the gas pedal assembly fit flush to the fire wall and the hole is too small to allow the bolts through it in order to make a clamp around and secure snug. i know this is a simple thing, but i have taken the gas pedal assembly off and on a few times and can still not secure that side to the fire wall. i feel stupid. any pics available?

I really think that you are over thinking this one. No need to disconnect the pedal assembly from the firewall at all?!? If the hole where the cable passes through the firewall is too big (did someone drill it previously?), you could always get some fender washers from the hardware store. The cable feeds through the hole in the firewall and you thread the nut on the inside. It really was about a thirty minute job.

Here's a pic I just snapped. Yours may be different. Man, it's cold and dark in my garage at 6am.

gaspedal002_zps1938ff3b.jpg

In order to do what you did, i would have to remove the red tab on the end of the assembly where it hooks onto the pedal assembly. Can i re attach that little red dot thing?

Wait, did you pull the entire cable out of the braided line in order to install this? I think i just figured it out. Now i really feel stupid. Thanks for the help. Took a while for me to figure this one out.

Yes, I did. Sorry about that. I knew that end needed to come off but forgot that we had to pull the cable out first. Glad you got it figured out.

-
Back