255-60's will fit on 15x7's on a 70 Swinger

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought some, tried them on both sides and they do fit with no trimming or spring offset. Really close on the drivers side but many here have mentioned the production tolerances (side to side) on these cars. I drive the car pretty easy. I like the look of big rears but I like the clean look of the small tires too. This coming weekend I will have the rears on minus the trim rings. That might give a more finished look. Like the larger rears on my 66, it shortens up the look of the car. tmm. 255/60-15's on 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Rallys with a 4.25" backspace. The fronts are 205/70-14's on 14x6 Vintiques Rallys with 4" backspace.

043.jpg

048.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running 245/60R15's on my back. On 15x8 rims. Rims are centered perfectly. It was the widest I could fit without rolling the lips. Even still on the passenger side I get a sllliiggghhhtt rub from the fender lip, there's a small barb there that catches the tire occasionally. Gunna roll them back soon. Make sure of your clearences fellas! Measure measure measure.

Mine rub up inside the wheel well. Once the lip isn't in the way the inner well dips in and is the 2nd obstruction.

20150430_150814.jpg

What size tire and wheel? Mini tub? Here's mine finished:
001.jpg

Looks really nice

Mine is mini tubbed with 11.25x15 wheels and the tires are 28x12.50's. Actual measurement on a 10" rim is 28x13.1"

EVER think of 225/70's, they are about the same height as 255/60's. The only diff would be in the tread width, but if you can fit 8'' rims difference would be smaller.

I bought some, tried them on both sides and they do fit with no trimming or spring offset. Really close on the drivers side but many here have mentioned the production tolerances (side to side) on these cars. I drive the car pretty easy. I like the look of big rears but I like the clean look of the small tires too. This coming weekend I will have the rears on minus the trim rings. That might give a more finished look. Like the larger rears on my 66, it shortens up the look of the car. tmm.

View attachment 1714935650

View attachment 1714935651
Hey toolman do you think i'd be fine if i went with 15x7 rims wih 255/60's all the way around

I bought some, tried them on both sides and they do fit with no trimming or spring offset. Really close on the drivers side but many here have mentioned the production tolerances (side to side) on these cars. I drive the car pretty easy. I like the look of big rears but I like the clean look of the small tires too. This coming weekend I will have the rears on minus the trim rings. That might give a more finished look. Like the larger rears on my 66, it shortens up the look of the car. tmm. 255/60-15's on 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Rallys with a 4.25" backspace. The fronts are 205/70-14's on 14x6 Vintiques Rallys with 4" backspace.

For the rear wheels, will a 3.75 " backspace work OK? Same wheel (15 by 7) and 255/60 15 tire? Found some American Racing Outlaws at Summit, AR61, they have a 3.75 backspace.

For the rear wheels, will a 3.75 " backspace work OK? Same wheel (15 by 7) and 255/60 15 tire? Found some American Racing Outlaws at Summit, AR61, they have a 3.75 backspace.
Not without some lip trimming. If you take a inch from the back it adds it to the front and that's damn close already. One side I can not get my fingertips through the gap. I would say 1/2" or less.

Did the leaf spring distance or clearance change from 70 to 75? My swinger is a 75 and I was wondering if I could fit that wide under mine?
Mine looks really tight for a 255

Did the leaf spring distance or clearance change from 70 to 75? My swinger is a 75 and I was wondering if I could fit that wide under mine?
Mine looks really tight for a 255

I think they did since I could just barely get a 245/40-18 in there on my 73 Swinger and had to trim the lip and move my springs in 1/2 inch.
On a hard left turn while going through a dip I get a light rub on the inner wheel well on the passenger side.

I think they did since I could just barely get a 245/40-18 in there on my 73 Swinger and had to trim the lip and move my springs in 1/2 inch.
On a hard left turn while going through a dip I get a light rub on the inner fender on the passenger side.
If they will keep traction and not break loose really easily I'm gonna run 235 75 15. I just happened to have a new set in my building so I'm gonna try them out if they work I will stick with that size. If not I guess I will be doing a spring relocation

If they will keep traction and not break loose really easily I'm gonna run 235 75 15. I just happened to have a new set in my building so I'm gonna try them out if they work I will stick with that size. If not I guess I will be doing a spring relocation

A 75 series is a crapload of sidewall.

Although with 373 gears and a 904 on the highway those 75s will be working in my favor.

When I had my 2wd 86 ram I ran 235 75 15s on it I had bought four new ones and ended up only replacing the back two and had two left over. Well I sold the truck a couple years ago and kept the tires so I figure wth I will use them now.

Yea it's really tall. I would personally prefer a 70 or a 60 but like I said I have two new ones I'm gonna use them Haha even if its temporarily

I had 235/50-15 for awhile and had the chance to change all of it, so with a little apprehension about making too big a change leaning towards the Pro tour look I took a chance.
The wheels are Ridler 695 Grey spoke 18x9.5 on the back and 17x8 fronts.
I have 245/40-18 with a 5.5 inch backspace on the rears and 225/40-17 with 4 inches backspace on the front.
I wish I could lower the car on them a little more, but our streets suck and I don't want to have to drive slower just to have the car lower.

after.jpg

I had 235/50-15 for awhile and had the chance to change all of it, so with a little apprehension about making too big a change leaning towards the Pro tour look I took a chance.
The wheels are Ridler 695 Grey spoke 18x9.5 on the back and 17x8 fronts.
I have 245/40-18 with a 5.5 inch backspace on the rears and 225/40-17 with 4 inches backspace on the front.
I wish I could lower the car on them a little more, but our streets suck and I don't want to have to drive slower just to have the car lower.

View attachment 1715310003
Damn that car looks so good! Ever time I see it I looked better and better lol. I really like the color combo!
Off the topic but did you push the bumper back and delete the "skirt spacer" thing?

Damn that car looks so good! Ever time I see it I looked better and better lol. I really like the color combo!
Off the topic but did you push the bumper back and delete the "skirt spacer" thing?

Thank you.
The 73's don't have the skirt, but I did push the bumper back about 1 inch.

Thank you.
The 73's don't have the skirt, but I did push the bumper back about 1 inch.
I was reading about it last night I have the original piece but it is all ugly and they don't reproduce it. So from what I read everyone drills out the bumper shocks and pushes them back and welds them in place . I was just wondering how this is actually done? From the looks of my shocks they are not even anyways one side looks longer than the other.

I was reading about it last night I have the original piece but it is all ugly and they don't reproduce it. So from what I read everyone drills out the bumper shocks and pushes them back and welds them in place . I was just wondering how this is actually done? From the looks of my shocks they are not even anyways one side looks longer than the other.

I didn't have to deal with that because 73 doesn't have shocks either.
If I remember, the 75 still has the bracket holes in the frame rails for the solid bumper brackets like the earlier cars had.
That might save you some headaches if I remember that correctly.

How much space between the tire and spring?
Is the upper, inner wheel tube the next restriction?

-
Back