26 hour parts run

-

Wheels

Reaction score
Left Yesterday (Thursday) at 3:30 pm and got back today (Friday) at 5:30pm. So heres the story: About 4 weeks ago I am surfing Kijiji for
parts and I come across this ad- 69 barracuda parts for sale- the
ad is an Alberta posting Cochrane to be exact, small town just outside
of Calgary where all the flooding has been going on. I live in British Columbia , the two Provinces (Canadian versions of States but bigger)
are seperated buy the Rocky Mountains (continental divide), but I figure what the hell I email the ad and get the fellows number. I phone him up
and he tells me he is building a 69 383 formula S fastback auto. He bought a 69 parts car and has striped it and has taken what he wants and is selling off a bunch of stuff he dose not need. I get him to send me some pictures of some of the stuff , I have a 67 fastback I need stuff for and a
68 vert, so I' m always looking for good deals as I seem to be car rich
(3 cudas) but money poor.LOL Yes I know 69 parts are different then
67 parts but when you live in the middle of nowhere in the mountians
69 parts will do just fine. So we hash out a list of what I want and what he is willing to part with and we agree on a price. All is cool. But I cant go
that weekend , have to work and its far,long drive. It is about a 10 hour drive in a chevy and about 7 hours in any mopar product. So I cant go,
so I suggest the following weekend , well dam thats no good cause the
fellow Charlse is flying out to Vancouver. So we set up the next weekend
as a good to go thing , I even make sure I got the weekend off to make the run. Well low and behold it starts to rain and Alberta floods.
The main roads going there are washed out , whole little towns are flooded and under water and So is Calgary (a fair sized city I might add).
So again third week in row I cant go. So I phone the fellow up and suggest this weekend - Canada Day long weekend again no good he is going camping and leaveing friday afternoon. Well dam dam and dam
So I says look what if I drive out on Thursday and show up first thing
friday morning would that work , he says yes. So Thursday I go to work
finish early come home unload my tools and stuff from my truck check
my oils and fluids blah blah blah , throw a sleeping bag and pillow in my
back seat and I'm off. I figured I would drive to Cochrane the closest town
to his place probably get there around 11 0r 12 pm crawl in the back seat sleep and call him in the morning. Well let met tell you I am 52 years old
sleeping in the back seat of my truck sucked. Not a lot of sound comfy
sleeping going on last night LOL. Parked right out side of these three hotels -Super 8 , Ramada, and some other one , I forget the name. I
do know that they were all looking pretty good by 3 in the morning.
My brain was just a churning , rrrrr hotel rrrrrr bed rrrr sleep comfy rrrr
back seat sucks rrrrrrrr need money for parts rrrrr need money for parts
finally feel a sleep in the truck. Woke up a couple of hours later Smitty's
wasn't even open , aaahhh but Tim Hortons was rrrrrrr Coffee rrrrr.
7 am Alberta time I phone Charlse and there is no answer. NNNOOOOOO.
Left a mesage and my cell number. Less than 2 minutes Charlse phones
and gives me directions to his place. So off I go well 10 minutes later
I pull his yard and there he is standing beside his red 65 - 273 - Canadian made rag top valiant. You'll understand why I say Canadian made when you see the pictures. Get out and greet and meet Charlse, he makes us coffee and we head to the shop. "Wow" up on the hoist is a 1969 Charger and off to the left is the formula S project under a cover. And all kinds
of goodies.So we spend a couple of hours talking mopar, you know its
kinda like english. We eventually fill my truck with goodies and I head home. $450 I came home with a 69 318 with a 904 still attached the
drive shaft ,mint formula S leaf springs, the radiator, complete dash with
pad and uncut bezel and instrument cluster gaugse heater levers
switches Complete, front and rear door panals
mint rear seat top and bottom all the metal trim from the cargo compartment except for the 2 chrome L shaped pieces and the tranny cross member a fender a trunk lid. Came home with a truck load of parts . Cost me 2 hundred for gas , but well worth the trip. Charlse is a true mopar enthusiast, and could have sold these parts for a lot more cash to other people but choose to help a fellow mopar guy that really needed a good deal. Very greatful and will be keeping in touch with a new mopar friend. I am posting some pics of His cars and some cool senery from my trip. I hope you enjoyed my story. Cheers I cant wait to get in my bed .LOL

Attachments

• parts run 029.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 350
  • parts run 025.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 378
  • parts run 030.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 366
  • parts run 031.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 349
  • parts run 034.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 361
  • parts run 033.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 365
  • parts run 035.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 346
  • parts run 032.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 357
More pictures coming of the senery to

Attachments

• parts run 039.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 344
  • parts run 038.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 353
  • parts run 037.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 341
  • parts run 026.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 355
  • parts run 035.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 348
  • parts run 040.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 336
  • parts run 041.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 350
Some cool stuff (senery) I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• parts run 005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 351
  • parts run 004.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 372
  • parts run 003.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 351
  • parts run 002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 361
  • parts run 001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 346
  • parts run 006.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 333
  • parts run 007.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 359
  • parts run 008.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 351
  • parts run 009.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 338
  • parts run 010.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 338
more pictures

Attachments

• parts run 015.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 369
  • parts run 014.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 342
  • parts run 013.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 366
  • parts run 012.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 331
  • parts run 011.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 369
  • parts run 020.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 371
  • parts run 019.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 376
  • parts run 018.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 354
  • parts run 017.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 344
  • parts run 016.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 355
If you look real hard you can see sasquatch in the woods,
actually there is a big black there if you got good eyes.

Attachments

• parts run 021.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 354
  • parts run 022.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 370
  • parts run 023.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 350
Great pics!
I especially like the ones of the Radium rock cuts and the Hoodoo's south of Invermere.
Some of my old stomping grounds!
Great deal on the parts too.

I think the scenic drive was worth the gas, making the parts a bonus :)
Thanks for the pics

Only have flown over the Rockies your photos give a great sense of it all..

thanks

Hey thanks for sharing your adventure and pics. Being born and raised in Florida you don't get to see these sights. I like the bear in road signs is this so you can make sure your rifle is loaded and handy LOL? Being a fat old guy with a bad back there is no way I could sleep in the back seat of my truck. I would be crippled the next morning.and wouldn't be worth a S@@t the next day. Sounds like the trip was well worth the time and money and made a new Mopar friend is just a bonus. Thanks again for sharing.

Beautiful country! I like road trips and if I lived in that area I would be driving all over the place. Thank you for posting your story and pictures. That red Valiant sure had me thinking O Canada, eh.

i was in radium once and the kootanys it was one of the most beautifull places i ever have been being from pei we have no mountains only hills so it was a whole new experince for me i will never forget. by the way great score

Cool pic's and story thanks for sharing,They sure bring back some memories i lived in BC from 80 to 82 in Elkford small town north of Cranbrook use to drive into Lethbridge 2-3 times a month, For Beer and gas(no tax) Took the crows nest pass nice drive in the summer,
There was a town that got buried when half a mountain let go i think it was called Frank slide.I'd love to move back out again.

Your a good canadian boy. Great story.

-
Back