273 3 speed column shift

-

bb66cuda

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 66 barracuda that has a factory 3 speed manual on the column and 273 engine. Would like to swap a 360 into it and keep the 3 on the tree if possible. Is this possible? Also wondering how rare the 3 speed manual on the column is in the early cars, looking online they all seem to be 4 speeds when they got the V8.

It's pretty rare, I've never seen a Barracuda with one! I believe you can swap a 360 in its place with a balanced flywheel and all of the components from the 273's transmission! The 360 will need a pilot bearing, and you will be forced to use the small clutch from the 273! You may have to have the 273's flywheel offset balanced and use that because of the circumference!

I think you will have problems. The 360 is way more powerful than the 273. It needs a bigger clutch and a stronger transmission.

I think you will have problems. The 360 is way more powerful than the 273. It needs a bigger clutch and a stronger transmission.
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I don't know how bad the 273 that's in it now is, but it's not in running condition. May just try to use that instead of swapping.

You might try swapping in a running 318 engine since it's not that much more horsepower then a 273 and it's internally balanced and the 273 clutch will work with it. I think you will still need a pilot bushing for the back of the crank though.

The A903 is a tough little transmission, but you may want to look into an A230 if you're determined to keep the column shift behind that 360

Picked up the car yesterday, it was a special order car with 2 barrel 273 and sure grip 7 1/4 rear end.

IMG_0449.PNG

IMG_0447.PNG

IMG_0448.PNG

-
Back