273 cam selection on Desktop Dyno

-
Contact BJR for sure. He really knows his stuff. He can figure a cam for you too and come up with even a better combination. The specs I came up with
are for a custom ground solid lifter cam. (i thought it would be fun to design one myself ) .415/.425 lift 248/254 duration 108 degree lobe center.
I used a +.030 273, increased the exhaust valve to 1.60", 10.5:1 compression,600 cfm carb,and stock exhaust manifolds with mufflers.
Now you must understand that my desktop dyno program is old and not very sophisticated, but I came up with 294 hp@5500 rpm and 321 ft/lb torque
@4000 rpm. Using the same combination but changing the exhaust to small tube headers and mufflers I got 340hp@5500 and 354 ft/lb@4000. I tried all sorts of combinations and thought this would be a good balance. I could
increase HP but the low rpm torque would go away and the rpm needed to produce that Hp went way up. Oh it would be fun to build a 8000 rpm
screamer but a motor like that is too hard to drive on the street unless you make bonsai passes at every stoplight. Good luck. toolmanmike

-
Back