"273 Charger" Air cleaner decal install?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm stumped. How do I install the "273 Charger" (or Commando) air cleaner decal and get everything to line up? I've tried taping it down first, marking certain points, but can't get the whole thing to line up correctly, or install without bubbles and creases. Anyone have a (hopefully) fool-proof method of doing this?

The key for me has been to keep the sticker wet. Use a spray bottle of water & keep the surface wet and start with one end and gradually smooth as you go working bubbles out in the process. Keeping it wet allows you to move around and re- set if needed. Good luck .

Oldschoolcuda

Yes. The water will not hurt it. After you get it set just go over with a microfiber towel. If you have any air bubbles remaining puncture them with a needle & rub with the microfiber. Won't be able to notice puncture at all.

Oldschoolcuda

SUCCESS!!...Thanks so much. Here's a pic, done...

abaa273 (Small).jpg

Looks great! Those decals are tough to install without bubbles and wrinkles. I never knew about putting them on wet. Good tip. Has your air cleaner been rechromed? It looks perfect. toolmanmike

Mike...yeah, came out great. I could never have done it without the water-tip.

The air cleaner is not rechromed...thats original. Still got the original , yellow "Mopar" decal on the side too. Here's the story...I bought it at a swap many years ago (80's, I think). The seller bought a "Cal-Custom" air cleaner for his 273 Commando/Charger and put this one in the CalCustom box. I bought it for $10....10 bucks!!! It sat on my shelf, in the box for years until I got a car that was worthy...the Dart.

I just bought another one at last spring's Portland Swap Meet for....get this....$5.00! The guy said it came off of a Falcon. Its not quite as nice (some light scratching, but no dents, and complete). That one will go on the Valiant, if it ever gets done.

273AirClnrDecal (Small).JPG

You get the "Lucky Dog" award. I never knew there was a yellow sticker on the side . Thanks. Mike

-
Back