273 Commando 385-420 HP?

-
wow way to much in my opinion but who am i. By the way shouldnt that motor at least have those special aluminium valve covers or am i wrong not that that would help much still way to expensive just wondering for personal knowledge. Justin

The 273 Commando motor wasn't even offered until 1965. jjr426, a true Commando motor would have steel valve covers with a black wrinkle finish with finned aluminum plug wire holders fastened to the tops. And if anybody has a good idea for fastening the aluminum pieces back to the valve covers, I'd like to hear it. One of mine fell off.

clean em up real good,,,scuff em up with some 120 g sandpaper,,and JBweld em,,,mine have been holding up

And it even comes with a box of parts. Maybe there is a solid gold jackass in the box, otherwise totally out of line.

385-420 HP out of a 273?!? Boy that must be a treat in traffic. Bet it dyno's around 250! Caveat Emptor!

that sounds fishy I figured to to get 325 Hp out of 318 worked over some but i agree with C130 Chief about 250 about right , unless theres NOS somewhere in there?

You cant see if the ports have been enlarged, it also doesnt say what lift cam, and how much compression, so It is hard to believe. If I was the guy offering this motor for sale for that price, I would at least say what it is. Dyno's can be happy sometimes, so who knows, Im going to say he is a hundred hp off if everything is done right, but what do I know.
I thought I reaqd somewhere they were 275 HP motors, those commando's.

Looks like a rattle can red 273 2bbl. $8500! The guy is definately on something. The horsepower is a little closer to believable I've got an older
version of Desktop Dyno. I ran some numbers just for fun. I tried to download
the charts but they are in some weird file type so I'll just give you the numbers. I still dont believe a 273 could do this:
.030 over 273 Pocket ported, large valve heads(1.800 intake, 1.600 exhaust)
10.5/1 compression, 750cfm carb/ single plane intake, small tube open headers, solid lifter cam,.500 lift 282.0 duration.
That all sounds like a pretty good combination but here's the unbelieveable part: 439 hp.@7000 rpm and 347 ft/lb torque@5500rpm. Does anyone else out there have Desktop Dyno that could run some figures to see how far off this really is? toolmanmike

-
Back