273 Commando automatics....what's special?

-

cudavert

DARTAHOLIC
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone knows exactly what a 273 Commando 904 consists of? All I have heard is that they use a higher stall torque converter (hemi?) and different springs in the governor for higher upshift speeds. But this is not confirmed.......anyone have first-hand knowledge of what makes them special?

Think the torque converter stayed stock & only mod. for 904 was the high speed governor.

Oldschoolcuda

I'm curious to know if anyone knows exactly what a 273 Commando 904 consists of? All I have heard is that they use a higher stall torque converter (hemi?) and different springs in the governor for higher upshift speeds. But this is not confirmed.......anyone have first-hand knowledge of what makes them special?

* High-Speed Governor {Allowed for higher up-shift points}
* Wider Ring-Gear for the Torque-Converter

Things get cloudy with the Torque-Converter. The standard 273 {2-Barrel}
unit was rated at 1800 RPM's.

Though Fred Hines, who ran a 1965 Barracda '237 Commando' in F/SA for the
factory 'back-in-the-day', stated that the 273/235 HP Torque-Converter was rated at +150 RPM's over the {2-Barrel} Converter.

if you look in the different factory service manuals. you will find things like a mild 383 trans might have different pressure settings and valves in the valve body, and servo springs, than HP 383. so just cause a mild 383 trans will bolt to HP 440 engine doesnt mean you should.

i know i was young but a 65 barracuda 273 cammando with a 904 automatic on the floor with 13" tires was quick in 1979 when i bought my first 1 , OH THERE SHE IS OVER IN THE CORNER LERKIN US OUT 35 years ago in high school out playing on the avenue . dam those were some fun nights .

1965 thru 1967 'A-904' Transmission

'Heavy-Throttle' Upshift Points ~ Dart, Valiant and Barracuda

Gear Upshift ........273 {2-Barrel} ............ 273 {4-Barrel}
* 1st to 2nd .......... 42 MPH ...................... 45 MPH
* 2nd to 3rd .......... 67 MPH ...................... 80 MPH

'Heavy-Throttle' Upshift Points ~ Dart and Valiant 'Station Wagon'

Gear Upshift ...... 273 '2-Barrel'
* 1st to 2nd .......... 38 MPH
* 2nd to 3rd .......... 63 MPH

-
Back