273 copper head gaskets SCE

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
anyone use these copper head gaskets for there sb mopars made by SCE ? opinions please . specifically looking for 273 high compression head gaskets to use instead of composite . or cometic MULTI-LAYER head gaskets .

anyone use these copper head gaskets for there sb mopars made by SCE ? opinions please . specifically looking for 273 high compression head gaskets to use instead of composite . or cometic MULTI-LAYER head gaskets .
1694703991527.png

Why copper?

The sets of these I've bought have a compressed thickness of .038 or less and a 4 inch bore. So far, the best option I've found for 273 and 318s.
M880 MOPAR N

How about AMS Obsolete for original, small bore, thin head gaskets? I've bought a couple sets from them.
I have not been having any luck with old nos gaskets that have been sitting around for ageS . I was searching the internet to see if anyone is reproducing anything new and I came across those sce copper gasket. .. I remember seeing cometic gaskets from sce at a steep price in the past . this is the second time in the last month I had to replace the pass side head gasket on my commando engine. I should have had the head milled previously . MY BAD. . I replaced it with an old nos gasket and even the drv side is huffing white smoke now.

I have not been having any luck with old nos gaskets that have been sitting around for ageS . I was searching the internet to see if anyone is reproducing anything new and I came across those sce copper gasket. .. I remember seeing cometic gaskets from sce at a steep price in the past . this is the second time in the last month I had to replace the pass side head gasket on my commando engine. I should have had the head milled previously . MY BAD. . I replaced it with an old nos gasket and even the drv side is huffing white smoke now.
It sounds like you have issues other than what a gasket can fix.

Call cosmetic and buy the correct one. Loss of compression because 318 compression resealing ring is bigger that the 273. Let alone 340-360 bore.
The last set I bought was like $200 but fit like a glove. Them and arp studs- nothing is getting by.

Call cosmetic and buy the correct one. Loss of compression because 318 compression resealing ring is bigger that the 273. Let alone 340-360 bore.
The last set I bought was like $200 but fit like a glove. Them and arp studs- nothing is getting by.
yeah the 273 bore is sooo small nobody makes the correct head gasket for it now.

Check out the stock steel shim 273 gaskets. They have a odd shaped chamber hole because of the closed chamber heads. Unless you duplicate them to the letter no replacements will be the same.

273 head gasket.jpg

stock head gasket on 920.jpg

I got 4 years out of that little 273 screamer .. I'd like to rebuild it but it has other issues .. soooo I have another 273 commando block to build .030 over bore and other 920 heads to clean up... mill heads and check for cracks. re-ring the dome pistons , new bearings new, timing chain , and pump . use old my isky cam, new lifters and I'll be all set . this last engine with head gasket problems was a beast .

I got 4 years out of that little 273 screamer .. I'd like to rebuild it but it has other issues .. soooo I have another 273 commando block to build .030 over bore and other 920 heads to clean up... mill heads and check for cracks. re-ring the dome pistons , new bearings new, timing chain , and pump . use old my isky cam, new lifters and I'll be all set . this last engine with head gasket problems was a beast .
WHich Isky did you use?

Take your pick. I used the Mr Gasket 1121G with no issues but my block was straight and my heads had been milled. DODGE 4.5L/273 Mopar small block LA - head gasket KEYWORD - Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing I was overthinking the bore size issue between the stock gaskets and the larger aftermarket. The difference isn't enough to be concerned about as far as compression goes. About .1 or so difference in compression.
I have used the 1121G gaskets before but not on this engine . they do have a large fire ring bore .

isky t-3 .. if you want your 273 to fly get this cam ..
If I ever have to take mine apart I might cam up to a T-3. I have a E-4 simply because it's close to a stock 273-4 barrel cam. Mine is 10 or so years since rebuild.

-
Back