273 Crank Pilot Bushing

-

Kaniela

Reaction score
Hello from sunny Seattle.
I have a 273 engine at my local machine shop and have just about everything ready to reassemble. It is an unmolested 1965 4bbl that came with its original Torqueflite attached.
I am going to install the engine in a 64 Dart GT that has a 4-speed manual. Does the crank need to be bored for a pilot bushing?

Welcome to FABO. I think all the earlier LA V8's were machined for the pilot bushing. Your machinist should be able to tell.

Yup. I don't know about 273, but you want to check "it is deep enough" and full size diameter. There used to be an undersize diameter pilot bush you could buy for that condition. Sorry I don't have a figure for crank flange to depth of hole

FWIW, This is what I came up with on a 440 "auto" crank. This crank is machined deep enough to handle the input shaft of an 833 without cutting. Any deeper could compromise the oil feed for the crank main I believe. The bell housing is a constant from MP. The trans input shaft , crank end to block, crank hole depths and diameters are my measurements.
Your mileage may vary..........

CrankDepthDiam1.jpg

My original 65 crank is not bored, so it must be that Chrysler only put bored cranks in engines destined for manual trans cars. Thanks, Dave for the hole measurements and drawing. I will show them to my machinist.

-
Back