273 crank pulley removal

-

Kar

Reaction score
I hope this is a stupid question and i am just missing something obvious, I am a Ford guy trying to learn this Mopar stuff.

I am trying to swap out my single groove crank pulley for a double groove, but i cant seem to figure out how to get the pulley off. I have removed the six small bolts and the large crank bolt, but it looks like there is some type of sleeve with a lip pressed on between the balancer and the pulley.

Do I need to use my puller to remove the balance in order to remove the pulley, what am i missing???????????

Thanks for any help

The bore of the pulley fits on the hub on the balancer. It's just stuck. Tap it lightly with a hammer and it should come off. tmm

Or give it a stronger whack with a rubber or plastic hammer to break it loose.... Not strong hit with a metal hammer....

As Mike said, it's just stuck on real good.

Ok guys, i swear there is some type of sleeve with a lip pressed on that is holding the pulley to the balancer. if i figure out how to attach a photo, i will show yo what I am talking about, and i tried the the rubber hammer. If anyone wants to PM me their email, i will send some photos. It looks like I need to use a puller and pull the balancer.

Did someone put a bigger washer on balancer bolt? I just ran into this with a 273 I stole a crank pulley off of. Would not budge until I pulled the balancer bolt in which the washer was just barely overlapping the pulley. 1st time i have ever run into this. Once bolt & washer were removed couple wacks w rubber mallet and it fell rite off. Like I said, this was a 1st for me and I had just assumed someone at some point put a bigger washer on the balancer

The balancer bolt is out, this is something pressed in, i haven't had any luck finding anything online that looks like it.

Here's the pics Kar/Rick sent me. Looks "normal" to me, there is a "ring" around where the crank bolt washer tightens up against the crank. You see the outer "ring" that isnt covered and its discolored by weather tec. Also chk the keyway, looks a little rusty in there, which may be holding it tight??

Oops how'd that purty thing get in there?? LOL

Attachments

• danica-patrick-unzip (Medium).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 273 crank.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 201
  • 273 crank 1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 173
Ok, I got it, and all of you were correct. Once i looked at a photo of a balancer without a pulley on it, I was able to see it. Apparently mine was installed with the paint wet, which helped it stick, a pry bar and a smack of the rubber hammer and off it came.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Pulley doesn't have a key. That's the bore in the balancer showing.
If it doesn't knock off by hitting different spots, drive a couple screw drivers between pulley and balancer.

Ok, I got it, and all of you were correct. Once i looked at a photo of a balancer without a pulley on it, I was able to see it. Apparently mine was installed with the paint wet, which helped it stick, a pry bar and a smack of the rubber hammer and off it came.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Yep, You're welcome. Good idea to ask a question instead of damaging something. tmm

Looks as though it has turned clockwise a tad. Rubber mallet and it should pop off.

Pulley doesn't have a key. That's the bore in the balancer showing.
If it doesn't knock off by hitting different spots, drive a couple screw drivers between pulley and balancer.

Sometimes there is a ridge around the balancer that the pulley fits over and could make it tight for pulling off. Especially if the paint was not fully dry when they installed the pulley.

Glad that you got the pulley off without damaging it.

Make any more threads if you get into any more situtations where you need more advice. There's alot of fart smellers, I mean smart fellers on here and we can help you....

-
Back