273 Edelbrock upgrade for my 66 Barracuda, throttle cable issue

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the original 2 bbl carb on my 66 Barracuda, with a Street performer and a 1403 carb. The manifold has a spot for everything, but the original throttle cable bracket.

Any ideas ?

Perhaps someone has a cleaver way to use what I have, a throttle cable bracket to sell, or a recommendation of one to buy.

Thanks

I'm replacing the original 2 bbl carb on my 66 Barracuda, with a Street performer and a 1403 carb. The manifold has a spot for everything, but the original throttle cable bracket.

Any ideas ?

Perhaps someone has a cleaver way to use what I have, a throttle cable bracket to sell, or a recommendation of one to buy.

Thanks
I went from 2 to 4 barrel on my 273 in my 65 Dart. Fortunately I used a factory manifold. The other thing I had to figure out was the difference in kickdown linkage length. Are you automatic or manual?

The first thing that comes to mind is to check Edelbrock's web site or Lokars's. I think they both market a universal bracket that would work if you couldn't locate something specific for Mopar.

A picture woud be helpful for us who need a visual aid.

A 340 throttle cable bracket is probably what you need. They make them new. I can post a link to a thread in a min.

Here is part of mine, 1406 a top a 4 barrel manifold from '65. But the linkage is original.
IMG_3221.jpg

I bought a single plane for my 65 273 and then heard dual plane actually work better. Any input on this?

Dual planes gave better bottom end but I have not seen any actual dyno or drag strip numbers to see how much difference it really makes.

You'll also need the Edelbrock Mopar throttle lever adaptor to hook the cable to. Well, you don't absolutely have to have it, but it puts the cable end in the correct place to give you full throttle travel.

20200328_151200.jpg
This is a early 70s 318 2 barrel intake we cut the 2 barrel off and bolted on a 4v adapter, pretty much a copy of the 273 4v shown above. Did two intakes like this on 318s 30 years ago when money was tight and sb 4v were not that common. Usually ran a 600 holley or a thermoquad. We ran a edelbrock performer too, I think the dual plane performer ran better overall, but can't say the single planes ran that much worse. Did try a homemade tripower with 3 Carter bbd's and it had noticable more torque then the single plane or performer. The edelbrock performer we had was for the 340/360 larger ports, it didnt fit well on the 318, but we made it work. I think we just ran the 2 barrel throttle cable holder on our homemade intake. The low profile single plane we also used on a turbocharged 318. The clearance helped with the blow through carb hat clearing the hood. But that's another story.Lol

Last edited:
-
Back