273 exhaust manifold interchange?

-
Reaction score
I know the driver's-side exhaust manifold on the early A-bodies with 273 (like my '64 Dart) are unique for the tight clearance to the steering box, but what's the story on the passenger side? Is there any reason a later exhaust manifold can't be used on the right side?

Thanks.

Size of the pipe, type of connection will be the difference,
otherwise you can use most any passenger side one. :)

I suggest make sure the flapper is ok, or remove it,
mine was stuck closed, and it hurt the engine. ;)

I know the driver's-side exhaust manifold on the early A-bodies with 273 (like my '64 Dart) are unique for the tight clearance to the steering box, but what's the story on the passenger side? Is there any reason a later exhaust manifold can't be used on the right side?

Thanks.

d33bSmall.jpg

340/360 manifolds that have the center outlet will fit. The problem is with the ports and exhaust bell. The larger ports may leak on early heads and I had to have the PS bell on my Y pipe resized to fit the 73 340 manifold on the 273.

What about a 5.9L Magnum exhaust ? are they different than the early small block manifolds ?

I have heard from reliable sources that 68-71 340 manifolds and magnum manifolds will not fit early "A" bodies. I have not tried them myself. I sent my manifolds, original DS and PS 73 340 center outlet, to Jet Hot for ceramic coating. I wish I had stuck with the original PS manifold. I also agree with cavemanmoron to ditch the flapper.

Not exactly. I had early 340 logs on my '65 and they fit. I also had power steering and when I took them out once, I noticed a small grind mark where they might hang on the PS box in unmolested form. Manual steering is OK. They do exit at different angles so youll have to adapt your head pipe to mate up, the 340 faces down, while the 273 faces back on the driver side. Magnums fit pass side, but the column hits on the driver side. They flow very well though.

Not exactly. I had early 340 logs on my '65 and they fit. I also had power steering and when I took them out once, I noticed a small grind mark where they might hang on the PS box in unmolested form. Manual steering is OK. They do exit at different angles so youll have to adapt your head pipe to mate up, the 340 faces down, while the 273 faces back on the driver side. Magnums fit pass side, but the column hits on the driver side. They flow very well though.

I just picked up a passenger side exhaust manifold today for another 273 I'm doing for my vert. Nothing wrong with the manifolds as long as you stay fairly stock. Small cam such as the Isky E-4, 4 barrel etc is okay. I had early 340 manifolds on another 273 and I had leakers. I ended up using the stock 273 exhaust gaskets but I sure it hindered flow.

-
Back