273 Front Main Seal Question

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Doing a Timing Chain!
How do I replace the front seal in the old style timing cover?
I thought it would be obvious, until I had it in my hands...

jhgjg.jpg

I believe the seal drives out from the front. Look at the back of the cover & see if the outside diameter of the seal seats on the cover. If so, use a small flat faced punch & drive it out a little at a time from the front. Once it's out, see if it has a number you can have cross referenced at your local parts store.

I believe the seal drives out from the front. Look at the back of the cover & see if the outside diameter of the seal seats on the cover. If so, use a small flat faced punch & drive it out a little at a time from the front. Once it's out, see if it has a number you can have cross referenced at your local parts store.

It Does have This number on the backside... I can't tell how much of it to knock out.

number.jpg

Doing a Timing Chain!
How do I replace the front seal in the old style timing cover?
I thought it would be obvious, until I had it in my hands...

View attachment 1715598510
I can see the seal. It's the 1/4" ring between the balancer opening and the timing cover. You need a drift punch and a hammer. The new seal should be flanged like the old one and only goes in one way from the backside. A 2x2 block of wood and a hammer works well. Get it started and work your way back and forth.

Flat head, rubber mallet.
Knock it out the back. I use a 2x4 block and light rtv when knocking in the new one

I can see the seal. It's the 1/4" ring between the balancer opening and the timing cover. You need a drift punch and a hammer. The new seal should be flanged like the old one and only goes in one way from the backside. A 2x2 block of wood and a hammer works well. Get it started and work your way back and forth.
Looks like part of the casting to me? I'm afraid to beat on that...

20200920_195400.jpg

IIRC
The later model ones (with integrated timing mark?) Install from the front (outside of the engine)

I'm guessing that this new seal isn't for my timing cover then?

View attachment 1715598537

It likely is, not all seals including rear axle and front wheel seals, or even transmission rear seals are built alike. For example, the OEM Mopar slip yoke seals famously had a long extended boot, and many aftermarket replacements don't. lay the cover down with the stamped number you posted earlier down, and try to find a big socket that will fit through the timing cover hole with little clearance and drive the thing out. If not, devise whatever. maybe split a 2x4 and do some whittling.

Drive the new one in from the front side, making sure the side that is to the outside of the cover is the side in this photo you posted.

You want to "cover" as much of the seal as possible until you get it flush, so lay a chuck of 2x4 clear across the seal. Support the timing cover so as not to stress/ crack it

The close up shows it better. Obviously the seal comes out from the inside.

If the dumb *** would put it flat on the bench it would work better.

This is probably what it looks like out. You will need to figure out how to get it out. Reach through the hole from the outside in with a screwdriver and tap it loose.
Nothing to grab onto in there... :
20200920_200720.jpg

If the dumb *** would put it flat on the bench it would work better.

Okay! Thank You Soo Very Much!

All I can say is DO NOT hold the cover in a vice the way it is shown in the video. Do as TMM said and put it flat on a flat surface and knock it out. DO NOT pry against the outer flange.

Nope, comes out the back.

All I can say is DO NOT hold the cover in a vice the way it is shown in the video. Do as TMM said and put it flat on a flat surface and knock it out. DO NOT pry against the outer flange.
You have to be smarter than the screwdriver! LOL One thing about working on old cars (or anything for that matter) you need to figure out how things work and how they come apart. Otherwise you should pay someone to repair it.

Post another photo from the back side now that you have gotten it started

You can also sometimes grab the flange of the seal by the number with a pair of plyers and twist making the seal smaller in diameter

At the top where metal is missing you can start to see a gap. Keep working on that spot
Screenshot_20200920-192120.png

-
Back