273 Head Question

-

David Lee

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Dart GT w/ 273 c.i. engine. I am curious if milling the heads say "20,000 th or so will increase my compression ratio and power? Or if the cost will negate the increase in power. I have done this on engines in the past with satisfactory results. Also if I have the heads shaved, what would be the best amount of material to remove without having to worry about valve/ piston contact? Thanks for any help.

I have a 1966 Dart GT w/ 273 c.i. engine. I am curious if milling the heads say "20,000 th or so will increase my compression ratio and power? Or if the cost will negate the increase in power. I have done this on engines in the past with satisfactory results. Also if I have the heads shaved, what would be the best amount of material to remove without having to worry about valve/ piston contact? Thanks for any help.
.020 won't get you much in compression or power. All it will get you is a intake that doesn't fit properly without machining and pushrods that are too long. Check them for straightness and take off a few thousands to clean them up if they need it.

I remember back in the day when everyone wanted 340 X heads. They had to check closely before buying though. Some had be shaved and shaved again until shims under the rocker shafts were required.

.020 won't get you much in compression or power. All it will get you is a intake that doesn't fit properly without machining and pushrods that are too long. Check them for straightness and take off a few thousands to clean them up if they need it.

yeah, kinda like pissing in the ocean to raise the water level....

-
Back