273 Help, Advice!

-
I had 2 different heads with that crack. My machine shop did some pins and basically sewed up the crack.

Really? I've sold dozens of 920 castings for outside cracks like that.....more than for any other reason.

Block sealer.....run it while you are looking for an identical casting head...

The pin kits are sweet,used a couple times in engine shop.Not cheap,but a really cool product used correctly. Never seen a 273 head crack like that before.

Turns out when having the new head (920) machined for new seats they examined the opposite head and found a crack in the same location. Wouldn't have noticed it but they said the machine shop that did the previous work didn't do it properly and I would have fried the seats in no time. So now two new machined heads being installed. I'm keeping the old ones, the sewing idea sound good. Talked to the guy doing my plating and he said he has never had a problem since he did a sewing repair on one of his heads.

Block sealer.....run it while you are looking for an identical casting head...
........................................................................................................
I agree......KW blockseal works real well as a temporary fix. I've delayed having to replace blown headgaskets for 9 months with that stuff. Some cracks even longer.

Very interesting. I have a crack in the same place on my 273. It didn't start weeping for a couple of years, though (maybe 6 or 8, actually). I just roughed up the surface and spread out some JB Weld and called it good, until I was ready to freshen up the heads again. Daily driver; haven't had any further problems.

We are the shop that is now working on this car. He had told us that the engine had been gone through and everything looked good so we installed the engine and had just got it running and getting ready to do a cam break in when we noticed water dripping on the floor. Expecting just a loose hose or something simple we found water spewing out of a crack in the side of the head.

Here is a shot of the crack after removing the manifold. Once we get the head off we will have a better idea of the extent of the damage and can provide better pictures for the inquiring minds.

Basically it looks like we will need a new head. Hopefully we can locate a match and just replace the one side.... if not I guess we'll have to do the pair.

Here is a link if you are interested in the build:http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150372048711134.356780.187765416133&type=3

305642_10151123249421134_888857898_n.jpg

-
Back