273 Intake Gaskets

-

67Baccaruda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the intake Gaskets on my stock "67 273 2bbl.

I picked up a set of steel Felpro gaskets from Napa a year or 2 ago.

Tonight I was looking at gaskets on Summit's website, looks like there may be some better options out there. Compressed fiber laminate, Composite, Aramid fiber, Printoseal. Prices all seem reasonable.

Any one have a suggestion which way to go, (Material and port size). This is going on an original 29K mile motor in a survivor car. In not really hung up on using original material, I just want correct fit and a good seal.

Thanks
Brian...

Thanks Jim.

Here are the Printoseal gaskets listed for 273 ports 2.080 x 1.050
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1243/

Check these out listed for 2 Barrel port, yet they show a port size of 2.187 x 1.050. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCE-169106/

I'm assuming the 2 bbl ports were the smallest???

The SCE gaskets are also .120 thick vs the Felpro @ .060.
No way the stock gaskets are .120, but check it out these say 2 barrel port
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCE-169106/Application/?query=Liter|4.5|Make|PLYMOUTH

I used the original style steel shim ones, but thats with a cast iron intake. No problems so far. If you have an aluminum intake, you have to use the fibre-type ones, ala FelPro, etc.

I have the stock iron 2 barrel intake on this car.
Don't have the intake off yet to see the condition of the mating surfaces.
I'm resealing the intake for 2 reasons:
1 minor leakage from front and rear seals
2 oil leakage from a round hole near one of the bolt holes, oil pools in small amounts on top of the intake. No Its not a bolt hole missing a bolt.

I have the stock iron 2 barrel intake on this car.
Don't have the intake off yet to see the condition of the mating surfaces.
I'm resealing the intake for 2 reasons:
1 minor leakage from front and rear seals
2 oil leakage from a round hole near one of the bolt holes, oil pools in small amounts on top of the intake. No Its not a bolt hole missing a bolt.

Don't use the front and rear seals that come with the kit...just a good bead of silicone there and install the intake. That seals much better.

I used the Felpro printaseal gaskets. Only fault is their loud blue material is an eye sore on an otherwise stock red paint engine. They will look much worse than that typical little oil puddle unless you buy paint too.

i always use felpro gasgets and the 0.60 imo would be the best choice unless your intake was milled the printoseal come in black and blue i think. put the print side toward the intake i use indian head gasget seal on the head side and you can use the cork end gasgets without problem if installed properly some use silicone . after install i always let things set for a day or so to dry and set up and torque is 25 to 30 ftp and follow the torque sequince .thisis jmo dosent mean its right and maybe your oil leak is in the heat crossover a pic would help maybe its not the intake gasget good luck

I only use Fel-pro gaskets. They are good stuff.

We are re-doing dads 273 and got the felpro kit which only had the cheap steel ones. Wish we hadda sprung for better ones. Up here the complete kit cost $200!!

-
Back