273 Main Cap oil plug?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I was reading through "How to Hot Rod Small-block Mopar Engines"
By Larry Shepard and it says not to forget to install this oil plug in the rear main cap area of the block...see pic below. I looked and I don't think my engine even has this. Should it?

Attachments

• MainCapOilPlug.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 244
It has one or you won't have much oil pressure. It blocks off the bottom of a oil passage to prevent internal leaks. The oil passage is drilled down and another passage is drilled across to intersect. The plug should be replaced after thje block is boiled before machining. tmm

It has one or you won't have much oil pressure. It blocks off the bottom of a oil passage to prevent internal leaks. The oil passage is drilled down and another passage is drilled across to intersect. The plug should be replaced after thje block is boiled before machining. tmm

Thanks Mike. Well, maybe my machine shop guy took it out, and didn't replace it. I have a package of block plugs and there isn't one in there for that location. Are they normally not supplied with a block plug kit?

I would print off the picture you posted and make sure your machinist knows about it. The original one is probably in the block and as long as it's seated it should be ok. I'll bet most expansion plug sets don't come with one. Here's a bit more info for you. To clarify, the part number for the plug is #3462871 or you can get a Dorman plug #555-008 tmm

View attachment Oil galley plug.jpg

Thanks Mike....I've gotten the block back from the machinist already. I didn't even know about that little plug 'til I was scanning the rebuild book.

Thanks again!!

-
Back