273, or 318?

-
agreed and the 289 ford isn't a good comparison anyway as it has the same 4" bore as the 302 and 351 so....

High Performance, in my non racing experience, is most influenced by good machine work, good breathing heads, Induction, and a matched set of components such as cam, valve train, ignition timing, and exhaust for intended usage. Bore size is a not large determinant of power. I also look at what strength of components and relationships available to start with, compared to what rpm I want to limit myself to.

Don't forget the 260 Ford. 29 cubic inches of smaller bore than the 289 I believe. 42 cubic inches smaller than the 302 with combined stroke and bore. Probably harder to find nowadays than a 273.
Saw the predecessor to that, a 221 in a pick n pull. Would have grabbed it if nothing more than novelty and history. Quite rare indeed. The small 3.5" bore really limits head and valve choice.
agreed and the 289 ford isn't a good comparison anyway as it has the same 4" bore as the 302 and 351 so....
Well there was the 260 SBF with a 3.8" bore. When they tested 1/4 mile times between the SBF Cobra and a 7 liter, the SBF was actually quicker. Revealed later was the fact that the SBF engine Cobra was actually a 260 with Shelby majic applied. The problem with the 427 street cars of the day was the bias ply tires and the 427 torque, 480 lb/ft and possibly more. That is what they admitted to. Kind of like the admitted to 425 HP. In a similar vein the 426 Hemi was factory rated at 425 HP, but on one of the Saturday morning HP shows they interviewed one of the Chrysler engineers. He stated they could take any engine off the assembly line to dyno and get 500HP gross. Now some engines would have all parts tolerances stack up just right like a blueprinted engine. Those would produce 25+ HP more.
We have to realise that Ford and the General played the same game.
Yes that 3.625" bore is a limiting factor, but for a snappy street engine is not exactly the end all. Lots of people still swear by the Chev 283.

High Performance, in my non racing experience, is most influenced by good machine work, good breathing heads, Induction, and a matched set of components such as cam, valve train, ignition timing, and exhaust for intended usage. Bore size is a not large determinant of power. I also look at what strength of components and relationships available to start with, compared to what rpm I want to limit myself to.
Agreed. Snappy street performance is one thing while race is another catagory.

Yes that 3.625" bore is a limiting factor, but for a snappy street engine is not exactly the end all. Lots of people still swear by the Chev 283.
Bore size definitely not ideal but big enough for more power than most would build with a 273 probably with majority of 340/360, to me rpm be the most limiting factor, since most seem to want peak power in the 5000-6500 rpm range so about 1:1-1.3:1 hp per cid. 270-370 ish HP

Last edited:
Bore size definitely not ideal but big enough for more power than most would build with a 273 probably with majority of 340/360, to me rpm be the most limiting factor, since most seem to want peak power in the 5000-6500 rpm range so about 1:1-1.3:1 hp per cid. 270-370 ish HP
With that smaller bore you can probably get away safely with another 0.5 to 1.0 point more compression without detonation. That 350HP to 370HP should equate to close to 300HP at the rear wheels. For a street cruiser that will get you down the road just fine.

Last edited:
273. Why bother? Because it's cool. Because you can.
Because they are High Performance. If you have never had one, you won't understand. You can't make sense of it by theoretical numbers. People never sold them. Barracudas would sit and not be for sale because it had the Commando drive train and people just loved those cars for the way they drove, sounded, and handled. If you put all the good stuff in any small block, they will all run great. It does not matter whether it is a 273, 318, 340, or 360. I've had them all and built them all. Had my pick of all, and the ones in my basement are 273s, 340s, 383s, and one 440 with A-Body mounting bosses. Build what you have, it really does not matter.

Because they are High Performance. If you have never had one, you won't understand. You can't make sense of it by theoretical numbers. People never sold them. Barracudas would sit and not be for sale because it had the Commando drive train and people just loved those cars for the way they drove, sounded, and handled. If you put all the good stuff in any small block, they will all run great. It does not matter whether it is a 273, 318, 340, or 360. I've had them all and built them all. Had my pick of all, and the ones in my basement are 273s, 340s, 383s, and one 440 with A-Body mounting bosses. Build what you have, it really does not matter.
When was it NASCAR had a compact class one year. Chevy showed up with the 4 carb Corvair and Ford brought a 140 cube Falcon. They got spanked by the 170 cube Valiants with the marine intended Hyper Pac. A slightly hotter cam and bigger Holley 4 barrel and they lapped Daytona at I think it was 128 MPH. Those 61 and 62 Valiants were not exactly aerodynamic. With the short deck height the 170 is lighter than the 225, and could rev. The General and Blue Oval squad did not stand a chance, especially giving up about 30 CID. The Corvair got a larger engine with the 65 redesign. Somewhere along there Ford increased the six from 140 cubes to 170. The Ford had a real problem as the intake was a log cast into the head.
After Chrysler won pretty much all the races the first and only season, taking generally the first six places, Bill France cancelled the compact series.

Seriously? Engine swap? I believe the OP said he was modding a '67 Dart 273-4. Who molests a factory 273 Charger or Commando car? Are you insane? Production numbers gurus chime in. Must be fifty to one 318s vs. Hipo 273s VINs. Stick with the money not 0-60. Wanna go real fast? '66 Nova SS 327 L79. I think these were running 13's in the qtr. stock. I better put my hat on!

... Wanna go real fast? '66 Nova SS 327 L79. I think these were running 13's in the qtr. stock. I better put my hat on!

I agree with you up to this point. I could tell you stories about hot Novas. Keep the Mopar and put a cam and gears in it. 66 Novas were nice looking crummy little cars.

Well, over the last couple of weeks, I have decided to keep it 273. Probably the E4 cam(or something similar), keep the 904 with the 3.23 gears, and put the low gear set in the transmission. Stall convert somewhere around 2400.
I am also going back with the 881 Bright blue metallic. Even going with original seat material. Only thing is it will get a white interior and top & boot. Cold air ac added as well as cruise.

Well, over the last couple of weeks, I have decided to keep it 273. Probably the E4 cam(or something similar), keep the 904 with the 3.23 gears, and put the low gear set in the transmission. Stall convert somewhere around 2400.
I am also going back with the 881 Bright blue metallic. Even going with original seat material. Only thing is it will get a white interior and top & boot. Cold air ac added as well as cruise.
I would not even bother with the low gear set. Everything else sounds perfect.

Seriously? Engine swap? I believe the OP said he was modding a '67 Dart 273-4. Who molests a factory 273 Charger or Commando car? Are you insane? Production numbers gurus chime in. Must be fifty to one 318s vs. Hipo 273s VINs. Stick with the money not 0-60. Wanna go real fast? '66 Nova SS 327 L79. I think these were running 13's in the qtr. stock. I better put my hat on!
My Dad had a cousin that ordered a 65 Chevy 2. He ordered chrome trim delete, so just the bumpers and door handles had chrome. This was back when you could sit with the salesman and check boxes. The L79 was not on the option list, but he got it written in. After the factory rejected it 4 times, they finally built it. Came with wheels that looked like those on a 6 cylinder car, just wider, and the little hub caps. Only give away was the dual exhaust. A real sleeper.

-
Back