273, or 318?

-

DartGuy67

Reaction score
I’ve got my 273 torn apart, and need to decide which way to go. All original engine. Crank and rods are fine. One cylinder won’t clean, so it will need bored. Do I stick with 4bbl pistons, or by 318 pistons like kb167? It would bring compression down about a point or so, the way it’s sounding.
I plan on running 3.73 gears and putting in an A500 overdrive. Try to stay with like the Isky E4 cam. I want to make an all around good driver, not just a drag car! All opinions welcome.

I’ve got my 273 torn apart, and need to decide which way to go. All original engine. Crank and rods are fine. One cylinder won’t clean, so it will need bored. Do I stick with 4bbl pistons, or by 318 pistons like kb167? It would bring compression down about a point or so, the way it’s sounding.
I plan on running 3.73 gears and putting in an A500 overdrive. Try to stay with like the Isky E4 cam. I want to make an all around good driver, not just a drag car! All opinions welcome.
I will be running the 920 heads, stick manifolds, and maybe even the factory single exhaust (as I think they sound and run pretty nice from what I’ve heard on some u tube videos).

318 pistons are bigger in diameter than the 273. I, myself would rather have the 318 over a 273 any day

You can't interchange 318 pistons in 273's. If you need to bore the block get ahold of Egge Machine for the right pistons. Keep the Isky E4. It is a good one.

From the little research that I've done, 273 pistons are more costly than the other sbm's and they usually have to be ordered.

From the little research that I've done, 273 pistons are more costly than the other sbm's and they usually have to be ordered.
Well may be. Egge had mine on the shelf. The engine was only made for 6 years and of course you can't get pistons at Wal Mart like you can 318 slugs. The L2222 pistons for the 273 are $637 a set from Egge. The Keith Black KB176's from Summit for the 318 are $485 a set. Yes they are $150 more a set.

Well may be. Egge had mine on the shelf. The engine was only made for 6 years and of course you can't get pistons at Wal Mart like you can 318 slugs. The L2222 pistons for the 273 are $637 a set from Egge. The Keith Black KB176's from Summit for the 318 are $485 a set. Yes they are $150 more a set.
I don't remember the brand name of the piston, but they were like $850 for a 273. Wasn't 1969 the last year for the 273?

W hen I'm looking at a car, I see what's all available for it parts wise

You can't interchange 318 pistons in 273's. If you need to bore the block get ahold of Egge Machine for the right pistons. Keep the Isky E4. It is a good one.
If I went with the 318, I was planning on getting a block, preferably an early one. Do you think the bigger bore would counter act the smaller ports? I plan on cleaning them up a bit.
Unless it is a numbers restoration, go with a 318 . Tons of optional parts at much lower pricing. More power to boot.
it is all original numbers matching. The heads were off and had guides put in. Still had 1966 bearings in it!

If I went with the 318, I was planning on getting a block, preferably an early one. Do you think the bigger bore would counter act the smaller ports? I plan on cleaning them up a bit.

it is all original numbers matching. The heads were off and had guides put in. Still had 1966 bearings in it!
Except for the pistons, the cost to go through a 318 will be about the same. Heads between a 273 and a Teen are not an issue.

That’s B.S., your over thinking it. 318 & 273 are the same.

Since it's a all original number matching car, I would go with the 273 as originality is worth more money.

A "early" 318 is no different than a late 273 except for the pistons and rings. Unless you find a freshly overhauled one, you will need to go through it to make it good anyway.

What year car are we talking about? And what motor 273 2 barrel or a 273 4 barrel motor?

This is a numbers matching car, as I said earlier, he would be money ahead by rebuilding the 273. Originality is always worth more money.

This is a numbers matching car, as I said earlier, he would be money ahead by rebuilding the 273. Originality is always worth more money.
Not necessarily. If it's an original 273-2 it isn't special. Unless he puts a 340 in it! And he's adding a a-500 so it ain't original. I couldn't help myself for not being gammarly correct. lol.

I just read that the earlier blocks had more meat in them is all
Well it's all up to you. You already have the 273. If the cam and lifters are still good you could reuse them. Pull it, send it off to the machine shop, bore it put in some HP pistons, new bearings, gaskets, new timing set, reuse the E4 and run with it. If you find a 318 you will need to do the same to it. If you have a automatic you might need to mess with the crank snout to fit your converter. (or buy a new converter) There can be quite a few differences between the 273 you own and a old and newer 318 that you will need to deal with.

Not necessarily. If it's an original 273-2 it isn't special. Unless he puts a 340 in it! And he's adding a a-500 so it ain't original. I couldn't help myself for not being gammarly correct. lol.
I forgot about him talking about going to the overdrive transmission

is that why you've not commited to a purchase yet :poke::rofl:
No, FYI, I'm tired of looking at junk. It's unreal people who don't understand the difference between a project car and one that doesn't need any body work. Seen one awhile back the owner said it was rust free, he should have said that it was metal free.

I hope you realize that the A500 torque convertor isn't going to fit your '67 crankshaft- the convertor pocket got enlarged in '68. You'll need to have the machine shop enlarge the pocket in your crank flange to the later diameter.

-
Back