273 piston options

-
I was looking at valves online when it struck me that I have a set of half-ported 360 heads. Including valves. They're 1.88/1.6 in stead of 1.78/1.50 as stated above.

Turns out I got a set of brand spanking new exhaust valves when I bought the heads, I had completely forgotten about that.

There's quite a bit of difference (these are the stock 273 (920) heads, nice and blasted as of today).

273 valves:

IMG_7222.jpg

360 valves:

IMG_7221.jpg

With the 0.030" over cylinder bore I'll be getting, there's not much room, though. Pretty close to 0.050" on each side. Note that the chamber is much wider than the bore.

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

Last edited:
Can you specify what you think will be limiting? Spring pressure vs rocker strength?

Spring pressure is a function of the cam. Rockers are good to go 2 threads showing on bottom at correct lash of the the adjuster and pushrods to fit. Check for spring clearance to rocker. If I am remembering correctly.

I have three 273 Charger engines, all of thrm with Egge Pistons. Even has one engine with a set of NOS 10,5 postons in standard bore. Works great.

I have three 273 Charger engines, all of thrm with Egge Pistons. Even has one engine with a set of NOS 10,5 postons in standard bore. Works great.
I measured and weighed mine. They were all within .0005. The machine shop was quite impressed. Very nice pistons!

CP pistons will make you set of the factory dome pistons, i have a set in my 273.
and i would stick with a small port and valve heads.

Well, it's been a while but also, there's been progress!
I've got the bottom end balanced and mounted with the Egge pistons. I bought them straight from Egge but later found that Hughes have them at a lower price!
Anyway, Thanks for all the input! I've also just decided what cam to use. It'll be a Lunati solid flat tappet. 235/243 @0.050, 110 LSA, 525/546 lift.

IMG_8258 (1).jpg

-
Back