273 Questions

-

cactuscarl

Reaction score
Buddy of mine asked me to post the following questions:

1. Does anyone know what the cam specs were for the 273 Powerpak motors?

2. Are 273 powerpak pistons (10.5:1 compression) available anywhere?

Thanks,
Jeff

Cactuscarl
To my knowledge 273 Hipo pistons are not available. You wuold probably have to find a set of NOS. I have a set of reg flat top pistons and rings .030 over if you are interested.
Cam specs for 273 4-bbl engines in 67 were,From 67 Factoy Service Manual
Intake opens(BTC) 14*
Intake closes(ABC) 54*
Exhaust opens(BBC) 56*
Exhaust closes (ATC) 12*
Valve over lap 26*
Intake vale duration 248*
Exhaust valve duration 248*
Solid lifters from factory should be set @
Intake .013
Exhaust .021
Set with engine hot.
Use the mopar valve lash chart to set lifters.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Dave C.

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it along and find out about the pistons for you.

What's compression on the pistons? Are they new?

-Jeff

Kanter auto sells the HP pistons. I have heard they may not be a close replica of the originals.

Check with Hensley Racing.Last time I checked they had the high comp. pistons.The Commando cam was .248/.420 lift.I have some cool vintage parts such as an edelbrock dual quad intake & a bunch of other goodies I've been hording.

Cactuscarl
Pistons and rings I have for the 273 are new in box. They are for the reg 273 2bbl engine, I think they are 8.5 or 9.0to 1, they are not the hipo ones, sorry.
I didn't know you could still get the hipo ones. Knews to me. Ken at Hensley Racing should know about it tho.
I also have other 273 parts, including a chrome air cleaner, and the black wrinkle finish, finned valve covers.
Dave C.

You'd probably be better off decking the block & milling the head to get the compression up and using the flat tops. The 2bbl pistons have a negitive deck height and the hi po ones have a positive height so you have lots or room to fool around and everything Ive heard about flat tops vs domed pistons is slanted towards the flat tops.Just my 2 cents

-
Back