273 SB DD9 SANDERSON HEADERS PROBLEMS

-

Stanfs02

Reaction score
Hi

I'm currently trying to get new Sanderson dd9 headers on my 273 SB '66 dart. We keep clashing with the steering box and can't get the header to fit.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Steve

Steering box on left side of car as you face it as in is this a right hand drive car?

Motor mounts in good shape and engine sitting correctly mid-line or so in engine bay?

Power steering? If manual the following info is worthless.
In my 66’ Barracuda, I switched to Borgeson steering box. I’m running Doug’s headers with my 273 auto- center console car. The box (if available to you) and the new coupler made a huge amount of room and the box fluid runs 20degrees cooler than it did with factory box. The new box is also about 15lbs lighter as well.

I hope this info helps as I am not trying to sell boxes. But headers in these cars are tight let alone with power steering.

Some photos of the steering box area might help us. As a general rule, the steering linkage needs to come off and sometimes the engine mounts need to be unbolted and engine jacked around a bit.

Power steering? If manual the following info is worthless.
In my 66’ Barracuda, I switched to Borgeson steering box. I’m running Doug’s headers with my 273 auto- center console car. The box (if available to you) and the new coupler made a huge amount of room and the box fluid runs 20degrees cooler than it did with factory box. The new box is also about 15lbs lighter as well.

I hope this info helps as I am not trying to sell boxes. But headers in these cars are tight let alone with power steering.
Hi Syleng

Yes it's powersteering, but is what I believe is the original power steering box. Thanks for the advice. It's a really tight fit, and it's just so frustrating!

Have you lifted the engine ?
Had to ask, one fella pounded the top tube flat trying to get it in from the top.
They go in from the bottom .

-
Back