273 small block!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In 1964 the 273 was introduced to the public. To my knowledge it was in February of 1964 but I might be wrong.

I'm looking for updates on this as well as when the earliest 273 was cast and assebled. Any help is gladly appriciated. Thanks

I haven't found any production info about when it was introduced yet but I'm sure it's out there. Mike

Not sure of the earliest?

But my Dart was built in aug 1963, was sold in socal to my Grand Parents and they took delivery in sept 63.

It is a 64 GT with every option of the day except the under dash AC and has a 273.

I have had the car since 74.

I would imagine you have one of the earliest ones. Late July/early August is when the model year changes. The 273 was probably released in the Barracuda early in 64' because Mopar wanted to beat Ford to the market with their Mustang.http://www.allpar.com/model/cuda.html Mike

Do you think the Dart had the 273 engine before the Barracuda? I haven't check the Dart story but I will dig through a pile of Dart 64 stuff. Strange, I thought both came in early 64 with the 273 option.

Not fore sure but the Barracuda was released early. There were no 273's in Valliants or Darts for 1963

Yes, I know that they first came in 1964. But when the 273 became an option was it for all the A-bodies cars? Or was it just one or two models?

What I have heard it that the firewall on the V8 cars was different then the early 1964 models! It that right?

Any more info in this matter is appriciated! I know there must be a bunch of guys sitting on alot of valuable info!

In 1964 the 273 was introduced to the public. To my knowledge it was in February of 1964 but I might be wrong.

I'm looking for updates on this as well as when the earliest 273 was cast and assebled. Any help is gladly appriciated. Thanks

This copy is on my show sign for my 64 avitar car;

DETROIT, Dec. 1 -- Dodge will start production of Dart
models with a new, lightweight, 273-cubic-inch V-8 engine
on December 9. This will mark the first time an eightcylinder
power plant has been available for the popular Dart.
“This engine was specifically designed for those customers
who wish to combine the increased performance of a V-8
with the maneuverability of a compact car,” Dodge General
Manager Byron J. Nichols explained.
“To be known as the Charger 273, this engine will be the
smallest and lightest V-8 built by Dodge but will offer a
performance potential equal to that of the 318-cubic-inch
engine now provided in standard-size Dodge V-8 models.”
[Editor’s note: The 318 described here is NOT the same as
the 318-cubic-inch engine later available in the Dodge Dart.]
The horsepower rating -- 180 hp at 4,200 rpm -- means
that the 273 will move the Dart from zero to 60 miles per
hour in one-fifth less time than will the optional 225-cubicinch
Slant Six engine, Dodge Chief Engineer George Gibson
reported.
The torque output of 260 lbs.-ft. at 1,600 rpm is the result
of studied efforts by engineers to match the 273 to the Dart
power train components.
In effect, the lively performance qualities which have always
been characteristic of the Dart can now be extended to an

even greater range.

I would "assume" Dec 9th was 1963 for production year 1964? Just a guess!:read2:

Source: Dodge Dart web page, Here's the link;

http://www.foundationpc.com/

-
Back