273 Supercharged...ITS HAPPENING PEOPLE!!

-
Any plans to mini tub? You might need even more tire.Turbo's produce prodigious amounts of torque and horsepower,but the launch of the car isn't as hard as a big block. But get it up in the mid range and your car may end up facing a wall mid track without enough traction.
I have thought about it for sure. But that will be future plans. I want to get it up and running first! Stay tuned!!

IMG_20160908_111309795-800x450.jpg
Sounds like you're gonna have a little small black screamer on your hands. I am going the other way on mine this time. I have been Supercharged for a very long time but the lure of the stroker motor has found me. So I am building a 10:5 or 11:1 416. In fact I am going to the machine shop today to kick things off. Just so you know, a blower turns a 273 into a animal. I was still building my engine when my blower arrived so in order to try it out we put it on a 68 Satellite with a 273 in it. Wow what a difference, we went to a cruise and I watched my buddy smoke a set of perfectly good set of Goodyear Eagle St tires down to the cords LOL. YOU are gonna have FUN with this. Good Luck

Very nice to see your progress... regarding the valve covers, LA pieces will fit; I used a pair of vintage cast aluminum Mickey Thompson valve covers on my Magnum-headed LA 360 and they sealed up fine with regular cork LA valve cover gaskets. Ran that setup for about 6 years and 25k miles with zero leaks.

This is my first time reading this particular thread...must've been buried a few times. Glad to see what you're doing here though. You can tell how light the recip assembly is, seeing all the material removed from the counterweights...I dig it

If you're still planning on running a Novi 1500, you might actually have a hard time keeping it down around 5 psi unless you have some really slow pulleys...

Besides, once you feel the boost...well...it's like automotive crack. Once you're initiated, you'll only want more. Good thing you sprang for the good pistons.

Very nice to see your progress... regarding the valve covers, LA pieces will fit; I used a pair of vintage cast aluminum Mickey Thompson valve covers on my Magnum-headed LA 360 and they sealed up fine with regular cork LA valve cover gaskets. Ran that setup for about 6 years and 25k miles with zero leaks.

I'm thinking about doing this with the 5.2 in my Scamp...the factory magnum covers aren't the most...inspiring...pieces on the engine.

This is my first time reading this particular thread...must've been buried a few times. Glad to see what you're doing here though. You can tell how light the recip assembly is, seeing all the material removed from the counterweights...I dig it

If you're still planning on running a Novi 1500, you might actually have a hard time keeping it down around 5 psi unless you have some really slow pulleys...

Besides, once you feel the boost...well...it's like automotive crack. Once you're initiated, you'll only want more. Good thing you sprang for the good pistons.
I have actually switched gears and am planning to do twin turbos. I am using factory magnum manifolds and am going to do the pipe fab myself. For now though I am just working on getting the car swapped and running NA. Thanks for the interest!

Groovy--twin snails will be sporty and with a handful of decent parts, you'll be able to control your boost with the turn of a knob. I guess your biggest issue will be piping and proper fuel control (I assume you're still looking at the FAST EFI kits?

I apologize if I missed it in the reading, but what size/type of turbos are you planning to use? Intercooler? WG/BOV?

Groovy--twin snails will be sporty and with a handful of decent parts, you'll be able to control your boost with the turn of a knob. I guess your biggest issue will be piping and proper fuel control (I assume you're still looking at the FAST EFI kits?

I apologize if I missed it in the reading, but what size/type of turbos are you planning to use? Intercooler? WG/BOV?

I haven't gotten into picking to much of the turbo stuff yet. Loosely planning on two wastegates and one blowoff. Not 100% sure on intercooler. I definitely want one but I haven't started playing with how/where. Thought about a water to air setup. Will be fuel injected. I have a Fast sportsman setup. And I have the manifold for the injectors. Just have to piece together the rest. Shooting for 500 to the tires at this point. Might be a bit lofty but it has enough in the bottom end to take a lot so I guess we will see.

I haven't gotten into picking to much of the turbo stuff yet. Loosely planning on two wastegates and one blowoff. Not 100% sure on intercooler. I definitely want one but I haven't started playing with how/where. Thought about a water to air setup. Will be fuel injected. I have a Fast sportsman setup. And I have the manifold for the injectors. Just have to piece together the rest. Shooting for 500 to the tires at this point. Might be a bit lofty but it has enough in the bottom end to take a lot so I guess we will see.

i got to tell you man, im disappointed
i love turbo builds but the combination between the supercharger and the 273 was just right, you know

obviously it will still be a sweet car, but i think the supercharger would have just been cooler

Twin turbos will still be super cool, and while I am certainly a fan of centrifugal superchargers, turbos don't have any parasitic hp loss through the drive system. Properly sized twins along with a carefully selected cam and supporting parts will have a very wide power band while still maintaining very good street manners and driveability. Turbos also don't have to worry about belt slippage and the loss of boost associated with it.

If you're OK with doing some fabrication and picking an intercooler based just on sizing, you might want to check out CX racing or Treadstone performance. Treadstone offers some affordable good quality intercoolers (recommended to me when I was looking at a single turbo setup for the 4.6 4V in my Mustang) and I wanna say they carry some decent piping kits for cut and weld, wastegates, and blow offs...

I'm thinking about doing this with the 5.2 in my Scamp...the factory magnum covers aren't the most...inspiring...pieces on the engine.
You can run LA 5 bolt VCs on a magnum the 5 holes on em do line up, mopar just added 5 more to get it to seal better.

Did exactly this....reused the factory gaskets from the Magnum.

i got to tell you man, im disappointed
i love turbo builds but the combination between the supercharger and the 273 was just right, you know

obviously it will still be a sweet car, but i think the supercharger would have just been cooler

I get it. My whole thought it that I need/want the thing to be drive able. And I rode in a centrifugal supercharged car and it felt a lot like a turbo car as far as lag. I thought it would be more like a roots type. So I decided that if I was going to have the lag I would steal less power and stick to what I know better. I'm still not there on the size and selection. Still a work in progress. It will be a wicked little ****. Stay tuned!

Twin turbos will still be super cool, and while I am certainly a fan of centrifugal superchargers, turbos don't have any parasitic hp loss through the drive system. Properly sized twins along with a carefully selected cam and supporting parts will have a very wide power band while still maintaining very good street manners and driveability. Turbos also don't have to worry about belt slippage and the loss of boost associated with it.

If you're OK with doing some fabrication and picking an intercooler based just on sizing, you might want to check out CX racing or Treadstone performance. Treadstone offers some affordable good quality intercoolers (recommended to me when I was looking at a single turbo setup for the 4.6 4V in my Mustang) and I wanna say they carry some decent piping kits for cut and weld, wastegates, and blow offs...

Alot of where my head is at for turbos. I do want to inter cool it just not sure how I want to do it yet. Thanks for the tip on the parts!

A Roots blower,on a Mopar ? There's dedicated. Someone manned up,and wants the win. Great thread.

Rumble
I think you may have confused me with someone else.
I'm 64 years old, semi-retired, working 22 hours a week at 18.60 per hour. My wife is 60, works 24 hrs a week at a tic over 20. Together we gross about, hang on I gotta find my abacus, comes to $43,800 in Kanuckian paper, so maybe $33000USD.The taxman takes over a quarter of that. My mortgage and utilities suck up about a third of that, and groceries and household are about quarter of that, and my kids who can't make it either anymore in this crazy world,suck up about 1/8, and then there's transportation which sucks up about a tenth with only one car registered, so the Cuda is parked . So that totals about $46,400, before medical bills;and so every day I live, I'm going deeper into debt. By the time I die, I will owe more than the house is worth, and so my clan(7+wife) will inherit nothing.
I thank God Almighty every day,several times a day,for the blessing of Good Health, IMO the best gift of all.

But yeah if I had big money: hang on, no ,I can't say that here; If I had big money,ummmmmmm, oh I know; I'd get the body freshened on my S and drive the berries off it some more, until they take my license away: I'm walking now anyways,lol.The S has a NA360 with 318 rods and a cast crank, and easily hits 93 in the 1/8,spinning all the way.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Long dribbling post that I stopped reading 1/4 through the first paragraph!!!

OMG!!!!

AJ! Wake the hell up!

I'm just teasing and not about the money!
It was my thought was closer to yours!
I agree! If I had that money.... whooooo!
What would I build?

(And who Is kidding who?!?! I have a long list for when I win the LOTTO! It's only about 35 MoPars long!)

AJ! Relax. And then write shorter paragraphs and replies.

I just don't give a rats *** on how much or little Anybody makes here.
LMAO, I really don't give an "F!"

Last edited:
This caught my attention. Why the 318 rods, AJ?

Sorry for spamming your thread, chrissock.
You caught that,eh;goodonya
Cuz the later ones are the same as 360 but are bushed, whereas my 360core were pressed, and I had several sets.I wanted bushed cuz I planned on taking the engine apart several times for inspection, which I did. Every winter for 5 winters;3 times catching catastrophe in the making. The 4th and 5th times, the engine was fine,so it hasn't been apart again in over 12 years.Maybe it's time again......
The early teener ones were same as 273. I forget what year they switched;69 maybe? Those bushed 318 rods were same casting number as 340 rods. I woulda used the 273 rods but they didn't look like they could take 400/440 ftlbs for very long,nor 7000rpm; you've seen 'em,lol.
But then;have you seen the late hemi rods?

A street engine has a pretty tame life. Lack of traction and speed limits make it so; the engine never works very hard, nor for very long. Really a 360 is overkill. But if you only have one or 1.5 gears to get to 60mph, you need a broad powerband to get there, and that is where more cubes hits the mark with more average power during the run. If you had more gears to get there,you could keep the engine on the pipe,and then you can do with a smaller less-powerful engine. It's always about average power between start and finish..........until the tires give up. After that it hardly matters. That is why, for a streeter, the 60ft is so important.When it's go-time,it's gotta stick.
IMO, a turboed, small-displacement engine with the right combination of parts and a many-speed transmission, could be a powerful force to reckon with,on the street, or on the track.With traction,it would be like a snowmobile; Pop it off the line with little to no tirespin, get on the pipe, and then keep it there. You are sorta building my dream combo, except in my dream I run staged turbos;a big and a little, cuz you know, big ones just blow the tires away,lol.Also in my dream; I run ladder bars and the GVOD as a splitter, so my combo needs just a 1300rpm powerband. So I would start off with just enough power to initiate tirespin. I'd run 4.10s and a 4 speed with the 3.09 low, and the splitter. I'd hit 60 at 5800 in second gear, having used; 1st. 1st-over, and all of second, for a total of 3 ratios. The bigger turbo would need to come in a little later so as not to break traction. I wouldn't care about the power numbers, cuz the combo would be just about the fastest zero to 60 streeter ever on the face of the whole flat earth..........once the turbos were finally figured out. Oh yeah, in my dream, the big turbo is a remote, cuz lag, with the little one up front, would be non-existant. I'd run headers, shorties, cuz,you know; torque is not gonna be an issue. And I'd bolt that little one onto the end of the passenger-side header boxing in the toe-box if necessary, cuz I run alone anyway. Passengers can sit in the back.I'd figure out a way to bypass that little one when the big one gets to doubling the power, cuz you know; that little one on the right side is rapidly becoming a choke.
Actually, in my dream I run a 318 and a plenum on the exhaust, and I split and stage the turboes, off the plenum as necessary to get the job done.In that way, the little one can be buzzing along full-time, always ready to blast off. Yeah it gets complicated, but imagine the pay-off.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention; in my dream there might be a priority valve somewhere so the teener can bypass the turbos on the start-line; I mean a 4bbl teener with headers and a clutch and a 4.10, and a 3.09 first gear, and a 5800rpm shift, is already a potent force.
But enough about my dream.
Carry on, I've got my eye on you,lol, anxious to see how it all plays out.

I admire your zeal, But if I had your money..............

I get it......I just cant be the guy that does the same thing EVERYONE else does. I work my *** off to keep three kids and the wife happy. This is my happy. I enjoy the weird and funky. Ive been told at least 100 times I could have spent less and had more power....... To me its really not about the power....its about the journey and the story!

-
Back