273 swap to 318

-

m99roadster

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart with a 273 and would like to exchange it with a 318 long block. Can I swap all the exhisting parts from the 273 to the 318 or will I have to locate other pieces? What would be the easiest way to do this. Thanks

As long as they have the same converter crank register, or if a stick, as long as the crank is drilled deep enough for the pilot shaft, I can think of nothing else.

As said, the torque converter snout must fit the crankshaft pilot hole. The diameters increased sometime around 1968 on both small blocks and slants. Search member Charrlie_S posts for details. I just ordered a $20 adapter bushing from him 10 min ago to fit a later engine to my tranny.

So if I understand correctly, the oil pan and valve covers exhaust and intake manifolds along with all the pulleys and hardware will fit. I only need to worry about the converter and crank, right?

So if I understand correctly, the oil pan and valve covers exhaust and intake manifolds along with all the pulleys and hardware will fit. I only need to worry about the converter and crank, right?

Right!

-
Back