273 v8 intake question..

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
I have a 1965 dart GT with a 273/904 and i wanted to know if the intake manifold for a 318 would fit and work on my engine? I have the stock 4 barrel intake on the car currently with a holly 4 barrel, but would like to switch to something a bit more powerful and i can only find intakes for 318 and on. I do know the small blocks were somewhat interchangeable, but i didn't know to what degree. Any suggestions?

The best and easiest way to go is to install a four barrel aftermarket intake manifold for the early 273. The difference between the early 1964 - 65 and the later ones are the bolt angle on the intake. They were different but you can use them if the washer is made with an angel too. But it's better to use the right stuff from the beginning.

Supplier is Edelbrock, Weiand, Offenhauser. You can find then om Ebay or at different speed shops.

Offenhouser (SP! Bad too.) makes intakes for the odd angled early small blocks.

OR, you can use stock 318 heads and a modern intake like the Edelbrock Performer.

It wouldn't be hard to find someone to trade you a new intake for your '65 Commando intake, they're hard to find.

Yah, i bet you're right about the trade. I do want to hold on to it for a bit though, for originality. The offenhouser (SP BAD TOO!!) intake looks great though! Is that an older style? I see the heat duct thing off to the side! I might be interested! Sadly i have to concentrate on my transmission though... its got what people called "morning sickness" where it slips when cold a tad (not bad though) and runs great otherwise.

ANYWAY, thanks for the tips! the 318 heads would be a great idea - didnt think about that, but it would be pricey.

This is easy bud. On my 273 with 64 heads I did take a intak and mill it fit. Then enlarge on an angle the bolt holes. it is only a few degrees and worked fine, never leaked!

-
Back