273 Valve Adjustment Questions

-

fadingfastsd

Reaction score
Well I'm checking the valves on the 273 in my 64 Cuda,
as it's developed a knocking noise from the #1 cylinder.

I've never done a valve adjustment before on a car engine (plenty on 4 stroke dirtbikes though) so I have a couple (maybe stupid!?) questions.

Here's a picture of the engine w/ the valve cover off:

CIMG2661.JPG

My first question is which is the intake and which is the exhaust valve for each cylinder?

Also, what are the adjustment specs for intake and exhaust on a 273?

I found this article at EarlyCuda.org:
http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/valves.htm

Saying to adjust them with the engine running? Is that true?

Well I'm headed off to napa to get some new valve cover gaskets and a new feeler gauge.
Any help on this will be much appreciated!

Evan

You can adjust them running, but it is messy. The exhaust valves are the ones directly in line with the exhaust ports.

go to mopar max .com the just released an article on adjusting valves . very good online rag all about mopars some one on here told me about it, best thing, its free

The lash specs. for your 273 are .013 intake & .021 exhaust adjusted on hot engine. Just make sure you adjust them after letting engine reach normal operating temp. Can adjust cold & use compensating factor also.Here is a crane cams instructional that should walk you through it. Just follow directions for mechanical cam. http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=4

Oldschoolcuda

You can adjust them running, but it is messy. The exhaust valves are the ones directly in line with the exhaust ports.

And how do you do this when the bolt you adjust is moving up and down? I Just took the cover off to do this and i dont see how than can be adjusted with it running. I have a 318 with 273 adjustable heads

And how do you do this when the bolt you adjust is moving up and down? I Just took the cover off to do this and i dont see how than can be adjusted with it running. I have a 318 with 273 adjustable heads

HEHE. You didn't notice this is from 2009?

Anyhow I adjust them sitting. Use "EOIC" which means

When the EXHAUST just starts to OPEN adjust that intake

When the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED adjust that exhaust.

Also, for V8's with "samo" firing order, there is a handy chart floating around.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...v3oATr14DIAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1138&bih=511

attachment.php?attachmentid=1714668235&stc=1&d=1382879163.jpg

I have solid lifters it seems. No clue on the cam. Is there a general setting that can be done not having a cam card.

General setting for lash? Without knowing the cam specs, "this might be tough." Check them all and see what they "sort of were" Lean towards looser. The tighter the lash, obviously, the more careful you must be.

If you think it's a factory cam, the settings are in the shop manuals.

The engine is a 75 318. Original owner must have screwed the pooch with it (original 273). All the original parts were swapped to the 318 from the 273. I wonder if the cam was swapped. I might just go with those specs and see what I got.

I set them cold with 10 on the intake and 18 on the exhaust. saw them on a thread here. Works good. little clatter but since there solid i'll deal with it. Much much quieter than before.

I set them cold with 10 on the intake and 18 on the exhaust. saw them on a thread here. Works good. little clatter but since there solid i'll deal with it. Much much quieter than before.

Much better. If you set them loose/cold they tighten up when the engine warms up. The exhaust of course gets hotter and expands more. That's why the exhaust spec is looser than the intake. I always set mine cold and usually a thou or two looser than spec.

I love the 273 clatter! It attracts attention and somebody always asks "hey is that a solid lifter cam? lol

Yeah I am waiting for that one.. lol Thanks fellas. I thought they were hyd until I adjusted them a little and it ran like chit. I then tried to collapse one by trying to pull the rocker up. No dice.. haha Runs good and smooth now. I thought since it was swapped to a 318 it would have had the hyd lifters. Well it was kept with the solids.

-
Back