273 valve adjustment???

-

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
Anybody have any good gouge or a info on 273 valve adjustments??? Seems like my 65 273 is dumping fuel right out insted of burning it..
I have no valve tap...so suspect exhaust valve is not closing and gas is not getting burnt..............also getting about 11 mpg on a 273 w/barrel carb and stock manifold and dual exhaust....Any help would be bitchin.....Anybody here in San Diego willing to help show a new guy how to do correct valve adjustment???

.013 intake .021 exhaust set them hot. My 66 seems to run awful fat when warm. It has the original carb that I overhauled when I bought it a few years ago. The choke goes off and the carb doesn't bleed over but it still isn't happy. I bought a used 600 Edelbrock at a swap meet and bolted it on one Saturday afternoon. Allthough I didn't have secondaries (because the butterflys hit the intake) it ran great, much smoother and cleaner. toolmanmike

I forgot to mention free beer to San Diego Members who want to help a Deep Sea Diver do this valve adjustment......or some cash I'm grateful either way...........plus just found some of the info off the early a body forum...Way to look before I ask huh.

When the intake starts to open, adjust the exhaust.....when the exhaust closes, adjust the intake.

The other method:
valveadjustmentchart.jpg

Not saying the valves don't need adjusting but if the exhaust valves (or intakes valve for the matter) weren't closing it wouldn't run at all cause it wouldn't have any compression. Sounds like retarded ignition timing and/or carb problems.

BTW: Sorry to say but don't expect a heavy wagon like that to get much fuel mileage.

That wagon should not be that heavy.
What engine do ya figure '64 cuda was adjusting valves on while it was running? I would think a Shivvy....

Installed new point set, Bosch platinum plugs......New 2 barrel carb from summit.....and adjusted timing (cant remember what its set at right now)
Been running it for about a month that way reset mixture to just off lean drop and still smells really rich so...........??? Valves?? Any other Ideas Besides valves which I am sure Still need to be done ??

I would say to go ahead and adjust the valves and see if that fixes it. It sounds like you may have an ignition issue. Maybe the vac advance is not working?
It is still a solid cam, right?

Now you're getting cocky! LOL
It's under 3100 pounds.

LOL. Wasn't being cocky. Just silly. And no offense but I'd have to see that to believe it. I was thinking of a newer wagon when I said 3800 but I bet it's still gotta be 3400~3500. Heck even my 68 Cuda weighs 3440 without me in it.

That wagon is a 65 which makes it an early A body. They were much lighter and smaller. Here's a couple links:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1963-1966-plymouth-valiant-signet.htm/printable
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/valiant_ap6_technical_specifications.htm

Makes me feel like getting one and hot rodding it....the sleeper from hell!

I understand the early A's were smaller and lighter but remember it's not a sedan, it's a wagon. I also don't believe much about factory weights published about cars because they are generally off by 200-300 hundred lbs. My 68 Cuda FB is a v8, auto, 8-3/4 car with PS being the only option. I haven't added anything that makes it weigh more except subframe connectors that weighes 14 lbs. and a stereo system that added about 20 lbs. of weight and I weighed it at 2 different places and both said 3440 with a half tank of gas. Every place on the net I've read factory published weights on a 68 Cuda FB said 3,000~3,200 lbs. which is way off. JMHO

Well, that's because they always listed dry weight. You have to add the fuel at about 7 lbs a gallon and the oils and coolant. That "less than 3100" I quoted was the highest weight I could find.

He should be getting better than 14 around town I would say and probably close to 20 on the highway.

Still a stock solid cam in it.........and I dont think I removed vaccum advance line when timing it...
Should I have removed it and along with that what should I have set the timing at then??? I seem to think it was 4-6 degree btdc?? I think it should weigh in @ around 35-3600lbs.......Still I think tuned it should be getting arounfd 16-18mpg.

I mean I could tune this one...........OR IF ANYONE just happens to have a stroked 318 just laying around that they just want to GIVE AWAY I would just feel compelled to swap it into the family wagon....:):):)

Although this is an older thread I hope SD65 got it fixed. Adjust the valves as a maintenance item but running rich is not a valve adjustment problem. And vehicle weight doesn't have anything to do with running rich. Unhook and plug the vacuum advance and set the timing at least 10 degrees before. Then go back and adjust the idle speed and then the idle mixture. Then reset the idle speed. (the mixture adjustment will probably change the idle speed)

Carb issues. A new carb does not mean its going to be right. My 273 in my 65 Barracuda gets an easy 20mpg on the freeway. Thats around 3 grand at 75mph.

-
Back