273 Won't Run When Warm - Carb Issue?

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Hey All,

Like the title says my '66 273 2 bbl dies when it warms up and once it's warm it won't want to start anymore. I believe it's an issue with my carb. To give a little background it's got a fresh battery, fuel filter, new mopar organge box conversion w/ fresh plug wires, dissy, a new coil and ballast. Fuel delivery to the carb appears to be good. Timing is around 5-7 BTDC.

It ran fine for months with the new ignition and only on a hot day did it start having any issues. Now it's like clockwork, as soon as it warms up it will die and won't want to idle again until it cools off. I've checked too and it's not overheating, it has issues just before normal operating temp - according to my factory gauge.

Any tips or should I just go ahead and rebuild the carb like I planned?

Thanks.

Mine does the same thing but it has the 4 barrell carb. On mine I think the float is hanging up and gas continues to run in the carb after the engine is shut off.

This same thing was happening to a friend of mine recently. I looked everywhere trying to figure out the problem and eventually decided to ask him if he used a higher temp spark plug when he replaced them shortly before all that started happening. I know it might seem left field, but turns out the higher temp plugs were holding enough heat in his engine that it was keeping him from being able to restart it whenit was hot. There was a lot more of thought put into my reasoning at the time, but long story short, he replaced the spark plugs with a lower temp plug and the problem went away....

-
Back