2nd Generation Barracuda Trivia

-

1969383S

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Where did the "Term" Notch/Notchback originate from?

A post earlier got me to thinking about this. I can see the nickname based upon the "Sports Fastback".

Ma Mopar did not call them that in the sales literature. They were listed as Coupes so what gives?

Attachments

• 69_Barracuda0001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 69_Barracuda0002.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 162
Has something to do with the roof being flat and the window is a notch location and not a fast back with no post. Just saying .

Maybe it's a FABO thing, cuz I never heard it before I came here.

No I do not think so.

I have known them as notches from a least 1980. That should pre-date FABO.

I just think the "slang" confuses things.

The term "'Cuda" gets tossed around a lot also.

I always refer to my 69 383s as a "Barracuda".

It cheapens the real " 'Cuda" owners (IMO)!

I always refer to my 69 383s as a "Barracuda".

It cheapens the real " 'Cuda" owners (IMO)!

It may. That's Ma's fault. We affectionately called it the "Cuda" long before she did.

It may. That's Ma's fault. We affectionately called it the "Cuda" long before she did.

Bout got in a fight with a member of my club when I proclaimed that the first 'Cuda was built in 69!

He absolutely was sure 70 was the first and thought I was being blastfeamous, even after showing the letter from corporate for the 69 release! Goes to show that some take it dead serious!

The term "notchback" is not indigenous to Barracudas but has been used on numerous other cars where there were different configurations to choose from so...it naturally got applied to our cars as well since the situation was the same.

Just one easy example that comes to mind: Volkswagen had a model called the type 3 but you could get it in either Squareback (wagon) Fastback, or Notchback.

By the way, I was expecting to learn something here. :(

I bought my first Barracuda in 1979 , I was 18 going 19 . It was a 1969 318 notch back.
And that is what it was called back then a notch back. so the term has been around a long time. I also figured it was the look, like previously said , some one took a fastback
and cut a notch out of her.

maybe like the term "mopar", slang for motor parts. pretty sure it was a term before mother mopar decided to claim all rights for it!?????

mopar decided to label the barracuda as "cuda" because that is what the masses of their customers called it!! and figured no doubt to help sell them!!??? ha

-
Back