3.23 to 3.55

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Guys, just read and learned a great deal from the excellent thread on convertors. My question is, how much more 'seat of the pants' speed will i feel changing from 3.23 to 3.55 gears? Cant go any deeper as the car is used for regular highway driving. Motor is a mild 360 running a comp cams XE262H cam (1200-5200rpm power band).

I would not go to a deeper gear for Hwy. driving Tim. Your going to feel it in a minor way. If you do gears and a convert at the same time, you'll feel alittle improvment.
If you got it where it counts, a overdrive trans would be very good to install. Then you could go to a 3.90 or 4.10 without any major loss of Hwy. abiltys.

The ratio of the overdrive is .69.
That works like this;
3.90 X .69 = 2.69
4.10 X .69 = 2.82
4.30 X .69 = 2.96

Inconjunction with the higher stall (Need new lock up converter possibly) and gear change, it should feel preety good with the abilty to go into overdrive for the Hwy. without the hi-revin hassle.

I doubt you'll feel much really. At least not enough to justify the expense IMO. Try borrowing a set or rear tires that are about 3/4" smaller OD. It will feel the same.

Thanks guys, i'd love overdrive, but theexpense is simply too much. I didnt realise how much difference a minor change of tyre height could bring. Its a sort of seperate question, but what is the optimum size rear tyre height with my set up?

-
Back