3.5 swap?

-

4dr4ever

Reaction score
So details first. Looking at a 67 dart 4 door. It's a basic model. Slant 6 auto. Needs a motor. I work in a salvage yard and right now we have a wrecked 06 3.5 auto charger motors no good but I can pick up the car for 400 and a good 3.5(the one in the car had oil pan damage and burned up the bearings) for 600. I checked and the dashboards are almost identical widths do I'm thinking it would be cool to swap this motor into the car. Thoughts? Hemi would be cool but a simple basic v6 would be great for daily driver reliability.

So you want the 3.5 V6 in the Dart? I say go for it, more HP than a 73 340 at the wheels! Dont know about the bolt pattern, that sounds very doable if you get the entire harness and trans. Probably some hump work if the new trans is wider at the shaft which Im almost positive it is...If you could mate it up to a 904, you would be golden. Dont know if the PCM would allow that though...

I'd wait a couple of years and get the new 3.6L 4-Valve motor. I bought my wife a Caravan with the 3.6L motor, it puts out 282 HP and it gets up and moves. Motor Trend has the 0-60 in 7.9 seconds which for a 4500 LB minivan is pretty impressive.

The good news is they are putting the 3.6 in EVERYTHING. Chargers, Challengers, Minivans, and Jeeps, they are probably building over a million a year. In a couple of years they will be cheaper than a hemi in the junk yards.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

That's true joe but I think this'll do for now :D my 68 2dr will be the rally race car

the new 3.6L is a good running engine til the valve seats loosen up in cylinder 2 and you get a misfire code

the new 3.6L is a good running engine til the valve seats loosen up in cylinder 2 and you get a misfire code

Got some evidence of this happening?

I'm not saying it doesn't or won't, but this is the second thread where dropped valve seats are mentioned. If Chrysler is having a problem with dropped valve seates in either the 5.7L Hemi or the new 3.6L V-6 I'd argue that it is a quality control problem, as aluminium heads with steal inserts for valve seats have been used for decades.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'm sure it would be a cool swap and you can get cams, superchargers and a bunch f other things for it. The nag1 would be a ***** to get working right if you dont get the entire wiring harness from front to rear and all the emission stuff. I say go for it!!!

I think it'd be an excellent little driver! good fuel mileage, excellent reliability and unique. Go for it!

Got some evidence of this happening?

I'm not saying it doesn't or won't, but this is the second thread where dropped valve seats are mentioned. If Chrysler is having a problem with dropped valve seates in either the 5.7L Hemi or the new 3.6L V-6 I'd argue that it is a quality control problem, as aluminium heads with steal inserts for valve seats have been used for decades.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yes plenty I am a tech at a dodge dealer we are currently doing the fourth one now and the cylinder heads are on back order so it is deffinately an issue

b5demon,

Hope your wrong, I've got a 2012 Caravan with the 3.6L love the power and the six speed automatic. The Caravan is faster than my 99 Passat with the 2.8L 5 Valve V-6 I traded in.

Gonna cross my fingers and hope that the motor dies under warranty, or lives to 150K miles.

I love a lot of Chrysler products, they've been brought back from the dead twice now, you'd think they would eventually get their quality control issues under control.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah funny thing is it is only cylinder #2 that is doing it so it has to be something in the production process that is not installing the seats correctly in that cylinder

Yeah funny thing is it is only cylinder #2 that is doing it so it has to be something in the production process that is not installing the seats correctly in that cylinder

Wonder if #2 runs hotter, like #3 does on air cooled VWs. Maybe the robot at the factory simply doesn't like the number 2? :D

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I am a dodge tech also, we are having lots of problems with the 3.5 heads also.In the2011-2012 its #5 cylinder with the valve seats burning, Carbon damage! Heads are also are short supply. The only real problem we are having on 3.6 are the cam fazers are failing, only one so far with valve ussue.

pictures :)
0fa9a0ff.jpg

2d187e8d.jpg

I've got a complete charger rear subframe and front suspension. The rear subframe is supposed to be a few inches wider then a b body rear but I can remove about 3" from each side of the charger subframe because of all the extra material between the center section and where the control arms mount. Bit of fabbing custom links and I'll be set with my rear wheel speed sensors. I'm undecided on the front. I think the easiest would be to modify the factory spindles to accept the charger hubs and wheel speed sensors.

subframe you can see how much could actually be cut out.
IMG_0305.jpg

4dr4ever,

What's up with the redacted post? If you showed us the blacked out portion would you have to kill us? ;)

Thanks for the pics of the rear.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

4dr4ever,

What's up with the redacted post? If you showed us the blacked out portion would you have to kill us? ;)

Thanks for the pics of the rear.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
I might have to joe, just might have to :-# [-(

I might be able to use a dakota rear from an 05+ since I'd need a new rear anyways with the increased power from the 3.5 would destroy the factory 7 1/4. I can buy a 08 Dakota 8 1/4 with a posi for 850 bucks

4dr4ever,

If you're looking for the cheapest rear end, our local pick your part has Ford 8.8 rear ends from Exploders for 80.00 on their half price weekends. The 8.8 is as strong as the 8.75 and comes with a trac loc and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. 95 and later cam with disc brakes too. They are 59.5" wide from hat to hat so they will fit under an A-Body without cutting. At some perches and your good to go.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

4dr4ever,

If you're looking for the cheapest rear end, our local pick your part has Ford 8.8 rear ends from Exploders for 80.00 on their half price weekends. The 8.8 is as strong as the 8.75 and comes with a trac loc and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. 95 and later cam with disc brakes too. They are 59.5" wide from hat to hat so they will fit under an A-Body without cutting. At some perches and your good to go.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
Just looking for something That will work with the tcm that I'll be using from the charger. I wonder if they have speed sensors in those rears.

Found a 3.5 with 48000 kms for 300 bucks, going to pick it up tuesday after work.

Good for you, keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
WHat do you think joe, the interior car of this 67 is extremely minty, needs a cleaning and apart from a tear in the rear bench it's almost perfect. The dashboard is the ugliest part(chrome flaking off the bezels and cracked like they all get. I'm thinking I'll continue through with my plan of swapping the charger dash into the 67 but painting it colors that coincide with the colors of the car. maybe just making the dash all black or black and the exterior blue color. To many thoughts to toss around.

I'm going to yank the suspension out of my 68 and see how things mock up with the charger k members and such. see what would have to get modified on the k member to make it fit the 67.

Ever since I read about the 3.6, I loved the idea of one in my Signet and been looking for an 09 Police car even wrecked..

I'm a big fan of stock interior. If I had unlimited money, I'd prefer to have the interior dash re-chromed to completely stock appearance, I also like the look of the 67 center console with the tach on the end of the console. Pricey and rare, but they look really cool.

I've seen a lot of nice auto-meter gauged dash boards, they are nice too, but not to my taste.

These guys to dash restoration, not cheap, I had another dash restoration link somewhere but can't find it.

http://www.gcartrim.com/Mopar Menu.htm

What would be cool is to send off your Charger dash (will it fit? check first) to be refinished, then put it in the mint, so it doesn't have to be torn apart for months. Have the rear seat recovered and now you have a totally cherry interior.

All it takes is money, what you don't spend on the car you're just going to waste on hookers and beer so why not? ;)

Regards,

Joe Dokes

And the money you spend on the car can be enjoyed more than once, hookers and beer are more of a one shot deal =P. Though if you're like me you'll probably keep pumping more money into the car and wish you went the other way, lol.

-
Back