• 4.18"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.25"

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
-

AR_Tech

Reaction score
If you needed to buy a forged crank, good rods, and forged pistons, which would you choose? Plan is to aim for around 350-400 fwhp NA and add a turbo to get to 600 fwhp with 7-10 psi and pump gas. I figure the stock stroke would work best with the pistons and getting a 9:1 CR. Thought about stepping up to Molnar crank and rods, but 3.79 is his smallest stroke. Goal with car is drivability with 2.76 or 2.94 gears, go to the track a few times a year not chasing, and cruising on weekends.

Steel crank, don't mess with nothing less...What do want to run, for a top end....,and your budget....?

I find it hard to choose, you can't go wrong with any of them. I guess it really depends on how much torque you want to make. Obviously, the more stroke you have the more torque you make. The nice benefit of the big stroke is that thenpistons become shorter and lighter. That may also be a drawback? I don't know.

I would use more stroke with the Hwy. gears.

You'll definitely need forged components for boost and that power level. Keep in mind, boost (with a properly sized turbo) provides instant torque, so a stroker isn't totally necessary. Of course most forged assembly options are strokers. I run a lightly boosted 5.9 and it makes gobs of power.

Years ago with limited piston availability I chose to run a 3.79 K1 stroke crank (387 CI) with 6.125 K1 rods(with chevy big and small ends) that enabled me to use an off the shelf Diamond Forged Piston designed for a 383 stroker sb chevy. The valve reliefs were relocated for an $8 charge per piston, sure beat paying hundreds more for a Mopar specific custom piston.

However, with today's piston selection, I'd recommend going with a 408.
Icon pistons part# IC982 Has a -34cc dish and will result in a 8.8CR with 65cc heads. It's a forged 2618 piston perfect for boosted applications. Off the shelf pistons save money too.

Good head gaskets, head studs are a must. Full groove main bearings will provide full time oiling to the rod bearings.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a "budget" but will have either Megasquirt or Holley fuel injection and let it control timing. I will use ARP studs. I am not sure which head gaskets yet. Probably go with a single TC76 or similar turbo. Maybe use a magnum engine front with serpentine belt, and try to use AC too with all the piping.

-
Back