3.910 + a few lines

-
With 1973 being the last year for the 340's, could a 1974 high performance 360 out run the 1973 340's? Both engines being stock except for the ignition system and carburetors being dialed in. Both cars having the same gear ratio and both being duster's, a fair comparison.

With 280 D 474 L cam 4 speed and 373 rear gears in my Demon can I use 1 7/8" TTI step headers?
Yes you can as long as you can make them fit your car.
So you are not going to answer my Question then _uck you!!!
See answer above and _uck yourself!!!
I was driving 340 A-BODIES while most of you members were still sucking on your MOMS nipples!!!
So your 70 something and need a binky?

Come back when you are in a better mood.

Last edited:
So you are not going to answer my Question then _uck you!!!
You're highjacking someone else's thread and then come back acting like a jerk when no one responds. WHAT do you expect? Have some respect. Start your own thread and you'll have better results.

Last edited:
With 280 D 474 L cam 4 speed and 373 rear gears in my Demon can I use 1 7/8" TTI step headers?

Hi Bubblegum .
Welcome to the site .
Your question popped up in the middle of an "engine overhaul" conversation, so it likely was ignored as a mistake, because it didn't fit the conversation.
If you start on this page/link, you can find a conversation on exhaust, down in the "technical" section .
For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
ask the question there.- it then will be answered by knowledgeable folks there .
Good luck,
lotsa helpful, knowledgeable folks here .

So after doing some honing, I noticed some vertical scratches.

Are those going to be a problem ?

20240216_204152.jpg

I sure wouldn't like it if I could catch any of them with a fingernail.

You are over-thinking this, you are just using it for a grocery getter, clean the pistons up real good, check the crank tolerances and put it together.

I sure wouldn't like it if I could catch any of them with a fingernail.
They can be seen but not felt.

If I close my eyes and run my nail over them, it's like they are not there.

I'm assuming this engine was neglected and run low.

The story is it was a low miles car this came from, the old people took care of it and then when it was old in 2009, it was given to their crackhead grand daughter who let her boyfriends beat it up. It was a 74 valiant I parted out because it had been Dukes jumped and it was bent.

The plan is that this 318 is going into a 72 dart more door. The dart was a nice car until someone ruined it by removing the front end and original engine to convert a slant six 75 duster into a demon. In the meantime taking apart a perfectly good four door with no rust anywhere and good paint.
I replaced the 72 front end and now here's the 318 back.

The story is it was a low miles car this came from, the old people took care of it and then when it was old in 2009, it was given to their crackhead grand daughter who let her boyfriends beat it up. It was a 74 valiant I parted out because it had been Dukes jumped and it was bent.

The plan is that this 318 is going into a 72 dart more door. The dart was a nice car until someone ruined it by removing the front end and original engine to convert a slant six 75 duster into a demon. In the meantime taking apart a perfectly good four door with no rust anywhere and good paint.
If that's the case, build it.

When you assemble it, as you turn the crank to install the next piston, you will end up with similar scratches. Nothin to it. Won't hurt a thing. Keep on rockin.

Looks like that engine may have been re-ringed once upon a time, and whoever did it failed to deburr the ends and corners of the rings where the gap is. If they're pretty deep, oil could get by. You might try running the hone thru again and see if it smooths them out. Either way, it should be fine for the type of engine you're building. Might be a good idea to chase your head bolt holes with a tap and blow em out too.

That's a really good job.
Cross hatch should be 45*, and that's pretty close.
We're it me, I'd take a few more strokes, with the drill a little slower, or arm a bit quicker . Mosta of those scratches will fade .
All in all, good job, and cyls look relatively good .
Clean it well etc .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

What a way to spend a Friday night. This is all very time consuming. I have only done 3 cylinders. It's a long process but so worth it. I declined a girls night out to work on this engine because come summer I want to put the Mercedes away and drive this dart instead.

Kinda need to get started now to get some summer steering wheel time.

What a way to spend a Friday night. This is all very time consuming. I have only done 3 cylinders. It's a long process but so worth it. I declined a girls night out to work on this engine because come summer I want to put the Mercedes away and drive this dart instead.

I'd like to suggest you kinda do all the other cyls till near happy.
Then the finish hone, do all cyls at once to 45*, - you'll be more likely to repeat the rhythm/finish similarly in all.
I would use cast rings, imho.
Cheers

I also noticed you didn't drag the stones outta the bore, squeezed them first, very professional, - nice touch .

I'm

I'd like to suggest you kinda do all the other cyls till near happy.
Then the finish hone, do all cyls at once to 45*, - you'll be more likely to repeat the rhythm/finish similarly in all.
I would use cast rings, imho.
Cheers
x2 on cast rings, I have good luck honing with ATF

I have similar in my 289 block that got hot. I have not tried to see if a fingernail catches. Being in the lower half of the bore the worst could be a little bit of blowby. The cylinder pressure has dropped significantly so not a delirious issue. If your fingernail does not catch I would not worry. Mine I may have to bore from 4.02" out to 4.03". If I have to do that I will get high compression pistons, 12:1.

Keeps you outta trouble.

Princess Valiant,
Did you hear about the girl that got a thrill up on Blueberry Hill?

She had a purple ***.

So do you know how Elvis got his blue swede shoes?

He was wearing white swede shoes when he took the girl up on Blueberry Hill.

:) :)

-
Back