3" or 2.5" Exhaust ?

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade to a full TTI X-pipe system. Do I stay with the 2.5" system and re-use my 2 chamber Flowmasters, or should I go with a 3" system and use the Dyno-Max mufflers? I think the 3" is overkill for my conservative engine combo, but sure would look nice. But I'd rather have it run good ....

Opinions Please. :-k

I'm also curious what everyone recommends,Me personally in the 66 im gunna run the 2.5 TTi x pipe with flowmasters. i think 3 is too much.

-Jeff

I'm not an expert in this area but I think 3" would be too big unless you are making major HP.

my 318 with open 3" cutouts reponds better than with 3" flowmaster super40s for wiw. its overkill but it runs just fine.

save yourself some money and headaches go with the 2.5. it will be all you need. plenty loud as well. dynomax are great

i run 3" pipes and dynomax super turbo mufflers on my dart.. i love it.. not loud at all. now i have the exhause incase i ever want to really get crazy with the motor.. if its close to the same price go 3". when i went from a 2 1/2 system with a flowmaster knock off muffler to the 3" X-pipe dynomay system i had to go up 2 jet sizes in the primaries. thats how much of a difference it made.. the car really seemed to like the 3" set up and i'm not putting out tons of power.

i run 2.5 with 3 inch flowmaster 40s still have some back pressure but get the good rumble of the larger muff...just my 2 cents

I run 3" with Dyno Max Ultra Flows and love it. My 440.....er I mean 426 Max Wedge is really a mild build but I figure it will only get more power over time so I just went right to 3" and love it. Ron

I was wondering where you been at! Thanks for your input on the exhaust, but I'm probably going to go with 2.5". I ain't runnin no big deal.... besides, I have a pair of new 2.5" Flowmaster's. That'll save me $120 I could spend elsewhere.

My car is gettin done. Finally....

John I think your fine with the 2.5" pipes. If you were planning om adding a lot more power soon I would say 3". Remeber Brett Ran 11.20s with a 2.5" X pipes system on his Barracuda.

I put the 3" system on when I put my 360/380 crate motor in the Valiant with the idea that at some point I will likely go with a big block. Certainly its overkill and I might even be down on power a little, but...
...they fit great, look great, and sound great!
So if you have any aspirations to go bigger in the future, the 3" system is hard to beat, imho.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards staying with the X-pipe 2.5" system. I don't have any big plans for sick horsepower in the future.... I just want to enjoy the sucka!

2.5 certainly won't limit a 360 in any way.

It won't limit most BB's either. I think with a 440 or so, 3" starts to become more usable, but still not a necessity. Take it with a grain of salt, though. It run 3" on my car....LOL

BUT I use 2.5" tailpipes from the flowmasters.

FWIW, I have cutouts, and it's less than .1 faster with them open.

-
Back