3/tree problems

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well I paid a lot to have this PB auto '64 Dart made to 3 /tree like I had way back. Got the parts car, had transmission checked/rebuilt, etc. Still compared to my old car (yes I realize it was over 40 years ) the column shift is loose, floppy and gets stuck. Sometime it will be in neutral postion and still in gear. I realize column shift linkages can have problems like this, but what is the most likely culprint causein the shift lever to get stuck and not move? Eventually after stopping, it comes loose again. I guess I should have had a 4 speed covnversion instead. Less room for problems?

Also, was the 4 speed even an option in '64. If so was it only w/ the V8. I think I read here that '64 was 1st year for V8 ?

Sorry don't know. You could always make the 3 speed into a floor shift

Bushings,
They stick when the column slides between the gear selectors like a 4-speed.
Tear it apart, any slop is a no go, you must make custom bushings or weld up the worn metal.
This means every linkage piece.
I could speed shift this old truck, after tightening the clearances up.

truck43104.jpg

I'm no fan of column shifting, for this exact reason. Even after you rebuild it, one can never be quite sure about the next shift. It's a royal PITA in the rain, or after dark.
So I vote for a floor-shift conversion.

Sounds like you are too lazy to fix the problem.

I posted an answer tighten every linkage point up.
My old truck, shifted like butter after fixing it.

I rebuilt the shiftier in my 64 D100. I went to the hardware store bought new spring washers. I also ordered clutch release bushings for an old Chrysler. Modified them and reassembled everything. It is tight and never any question what gear you're in. Ask Tony (whitepunkonnitro) he checked out my work yesterday at the Mopar show. I was told to ditch the shiftier but, I'm a glutton for punishment and rebuilt it like new. Craig

As stated a 3/tree can shift quite well when working properly. One item not mentioned is motor mounts. If they are partially collapsed or broken they will cause the shifter to bind. Happens on right side when oil drips on the rubber.

Thanks for all the answers. Motor mounts are known to be ok. Will have it looked at. Still nice to get away from PB auto.

-
Back