30 years ago. Man time flys.

-
Let’s go back 45 years ago. Lol. Also my last street car that I raced.
61CD50F0-E2AC-4C34-9294-1810BD7CD9C6.jpeg
0FAF1359-F9E2-4670-99FD-49911D779214.jpeg
6C2E6A50-18C5-4F5F-844E-23725CF1B843.jpeg
A408472F-4A28-4B94-8264-21D5685E7CA7.jpeg
8C1E1A83-F32B-44A0-BFA4-ADE44B44A218.jpeg
C39D38F7-4EAD-42BE-AA7D-2F5E5F94E859.jpeg
E8752EF8-C1C0-43B7-972E-DFF0A0A9020F.jpeg

Made my first pass down a dragstrip in 1979 at Gainesville Raceway, when I first decided to go drag racing. Had my old 1968 AMX then.. small block chevy powered at the time. Within 2 years pulled the SBC and put in an AMC 401/727 torqueflite. Ran that car until 1994 when I sold it to raise a family. Out of racing for 24 years and now looking forward to year 3 with my 72 Dart.

Lot of tracks gone now to. Had a lot more fun at the non NHRA tracks. Most are gone now. No shade just asphalt at the big tracks and 9 dollar hamburgers. But I shouldn’t complain, I’m still racing.

Lot of tracks gone now to. Had a lot more fun at the non NHRA tracks. Most are gone now. No shade just asphalt at the big tracks and 9 dollar hamburgers. But I shouldn’t complain, I’m still racing.
So true we lost a big one when Englishtown closed ago , now we might be losing Atco in South Jersey weird deal the owner is mad and upset because the racers are upset and venting online because the track might be closing so he is sending letters to everybody that vents online letters telling them they are banned from the track... ???.. at least my local / home track is open but they just postponed their April 10 swap meet due to covid restrictions

My home track closed in 2019. Track needed some serious work done, mostly a new timing system. Owner past and the kids took it over. They really tried to make it work but the odds were stacked against them. They were going to make some improvements for 2020 then COVID hit and game over.

^^^ Maybe you guys should consider a move to Mo or Ks. Cows don't ***** about noise! Many other reasons too! Less you are a Dem. then you will never fit in.

Congrats on being able to do something you love for so long. I raced for about 5 years in the late 90's. My ex hated it. When we spilt one of the first things I did was get a car and head to the track. Been racing around for about 7 years now. Hope to be able to race for at least another 20 years. Being in my 40's I fear that drag racing will be lost in my time.

Congrats on being able to do something you love for so long. I raced for about 5 years in the late 90's. My ex hated it. When we spilt one of the first things I did was get a car and head to the track. Been racing around for about 7 years now. Hope to be able to race for at least another 20 years. Being in my 40's I fear that drag racing will be lost in my time.

This was my ex wife racing one of my dusters. She ran 12.20-12.40’s up till she was 5 months pregnant with my oldest son Matt now 32. She wised up I guess and moved on to greener pastures.
0D6E52F6-29A9-4CA7-8292-425B21E8EDEB.jpeg
E1196888-6799-4BFF-B405-EED4FD19527F.jpeg

Funny how women complain about everything that you do that you enjoy... well some do anyway I had said to mine about racing my Fox body, she was like "if you do trailer it so you can get it back home if it breaks..." :)

Made my first pass down a dragstrip in 1979 at Gainesville Raceway, when I first decided to go drag racing. Had my old 1968 AMX then.. small block chevy powered at the time. Within 2 years pulled the SBC and put in an AMC 401/727 torqueflite. Ran that car until 1994 when I sold it to raise a family. Out of racing for 24 years and now looking forward to year 3 with my 72 Dart.

A Les Gibson sighting! I remember the first day I saw your 70 maroon super bee drive in front of my girlfriends house on Toyota Drive

This was my ex wife racing one of my dusters. She ran 12.20-12.40’s up till she was 5 months pregnant with my oldest son Matt now 32. She wised up I guess and moved on to greener pastures.

We did a lot of car shows and car related thing. Racing wasn't one of them. My current GF understands my passion and supports it. I took her to a race and said this is what its like. She enjoys it and may even try racing this year.
It's funny my daughter is has the car bug. The 65 Barracuda I'm build is going to be her race car.

@pittsburghracer do you remember a blue 69 Barracuda that raced at Quaker City? Guys name was Doug Schnell.

We did a lot of car shows and car related thing. Racing wasn't one of them. My current GF understands my passion and supports it. I took her to a race and said this is what its like. She enjoys it and may even try racing this year.
It's funny my daughter is has the car bug. The 65 Barracuda I'm build is going to be her race car.

@pittsburghracer do you remember a blue 69 Barracuda that raced at Quaker City? Guys name was Doug Schnell.

No I do not. I usually only race at Quaker City at their big money events. I like weekend races and racing three days. With the cost of travel and the Pa turnpike it makes more sense to me. I love sleeping in my motorhome at the track.

Me in an enduro at Slinger Speedway 1984. Finshed 12th among 200+ cars. Yes the siren worked!!!

slinger enduro car 1984.jpg

Rough nite at Hales Corners 1981.

1981 sportsman car at Hales on the hook....jpg

Pre-season pic @ Hales 1982

1982 Torino at Hales.jpg

Officials race at Slinger 1985... I was the announcer and publicity guy.
1985 Slinger officials race.jpg

With my friend Tom Searing. Fast time at Hales Corners 1979-ish. Superior Racing was my parts and tire biz.

Me and Tom Searing Hales Corners Speedway.jpg

My pace car from Luxemburg and Chilton, WI tracks. 1988.
Luxemburg Pace Car 4.jpeg

First sportsman car at Hales 1969. My friend Ron was our driver. I was only 20... needed to be 21.
133 stock car driven by Ron Kubiak.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back