30 Years Ago Today, Where Were You?

-
I was playng hookie from high school. I watched the launch on TV, and could not believe what i saw. As a kid it put a lump in my throat.

I would have been a 21 month old telling my mom to quite using months I'm One.

I was at the boss' house, my first 40 hour a week year round job. We always met there for coffee before work, the new subdivision were were building houses for started a block from where he lived.

He always had the TV on the morning news channel & we were all watching the launch live. We were all shocked & saddened when it all went wrong, everyone was in a somber mood for days.

I was scheduled to work that day at 3, and myself and my music partner met down at Hines Park to talk about the accident! We ended up writing a song about it that day that we turned into a tribute video, complete with Reagans speech to close out the song! If I can find the video, I'll try to post it here! It's on VHS so I'll have to do some magic to get it onto digital!!

Was at European Motors in Fairfield Ohio. Working on a Saab and a guy came out of the showroom and yelled the shuttle blew up! Went in and watched the TV. That really got to me, you just watched it and didn't believe it was real.

30 years ago?

Likely examining female anatomy. California could have fallen into the ocean and the poles shifted and I wouldn't have given two cents.

I have to be honest, I don't exactly remember what I was doing. Back in those days I was working two jobs

I will never forget the Challenger disaster. I took it to heart in my career and made a point to always remember the profound engineering arrogance that allowed the launch to occur that that day which resulted in the terrible disaster.

In 2003, when the Columbia went down, my first thought was that the arrogant NASA engineering mentality had done it again...assuming that they were smarter than the physics involved and capable of being better and smarter than they really were.

They weren't...and they had no excuse...except arrogance.

To this day, I force the engineers that work for me to "prove it" whenever they have a strong opinion on what will work and not fail. They give me righteous indignation that they are experts and resist my requirements, but in the end I still force them to prove it.

7 times out of 10, they find out that their arrogant confidence results in failure.

And yet, very few of them ever seem to learn anything from the experience.

The ones that do still work for me, the rest are out there somewhere...creating future failures for others to endure.

I was 25, living in a small, untidy apartment in Atlanta, I remember there were numerous postponements to the launch date, and reports of how cold it was in Cape Canaveral that morning. I was watching it live, I think Tom Brokaw was the newscaster, and seeing the plumes of vapor, I knew right away the crew couldn't survive, but it was hard to grasp that fact.

I was in 9th grade in English class. I remember the teacher bringing the tv in on one of those big rolling carts so we could watch it. What a sad day. Everybody was speechless.

X2.. My father was involved in the guidance systems, onboard the Shuttle. He was depressed for months. Sad day,indeed..

I was home from 4th grade, had a cold that day. My dad and I were watching it on TV. I remember him yelling at my mom that she had to get in there, that the Shuttle had exploded and her yelling back don't be such a F****** A******. It took a good 5 minutes to get her in there. I just remember thinking about the teacher and all the kids in the world watching. My dad actually cried, He was a WWII vet and mean as hell, but he knew what had happened changed America that day. I still get weepy thinking about it.

I wasn't born yet. It is interesting to see others who can look back on things that happened years and years ago with the ability to recall almost every detail like it was yesterday. I recall the morning of 9/11 like that, terrible tragic events that are seared into our memories. May we never forget!:usa2:

I wasn't born yet. It is interesting to see others who can look back on things that happened years and years ago with the ability to recall almost every detail like it was yesterday. I recall the morning of 9/11 like that, terrible tragic events that are seared into our memories. May we never forget!:usa2:

Every generation seems to have a moment that's etched in memory.

For my grandparents, they'd be talking about where they were when they found out about Pearl Harbor.

My parents, the JFK assassination.

Those my age, the Challenger disaster.

Then came 9/11 for those younger.

Of course, as we get older, and the ones we lived through, each is etched in memory, but there's always the first one. Unfortunately.

I shuddered when JFK got assasinated. I was 5years old. 9-11 scared me a little more tho.

9-11 scared the crap out of me .....i was 15 and I really thought the end of the world was coming.

I saw the second crash happen live on TV in real time .....I really thought it was the end.

even now I can feel shaken up about it

I was banging my girlfriend in the backseat of my 79 Caprice Classic. Epic!!

16 years old, just walked in from surfing, standing at the bottom of the stairs about to go throw on some dry clothes and stopped to watch the launch.

Watched it live as a junior in high school. Watched it live. I think all of us were in shock.

Stationed at Holloman AFB,New Mexico.NASA and Space Command both have sites there with the White Sands shuttle landing strip. It was a bad day.....

-
Back