302 head progress and questions

-
I wish I had gotten better pics. I opened them up a good amount. Not sure about % though. They were kind of oblong and I tried my best to make them circular below the seat. On that short side you’re right there was a sharp edge I really had to smooth out. The more time I spent in there the more I understood some of the stuff you guys have been saying. I got them to where I was comfortable with and just asked the machinist to look them over and make sure nothings glaring to him. Your videos and mopar joes were very helpful. Few others that escape me.
In the next video I basically introduced the snap gauges I like to use along with the micrometer I recommend you go to Harbor Freight get yourself a set they come in real Handy and you can figure out where you are and keep track of it.

Would have definitely helped lol. I will still check the videos even though honestly I’ve finished with what I’m wanting to do on these. Always need to learn. Next engine will probably be a stroker based off of a 340 and Im sure I’ll be doing a lot more porting. Thanks for your help.

This isn’t a comment on the porting efforts, but more of an observation about what you were starting with.

With no bowl blending or deshrouding in the chamber of any kind, I’d say the install of the 1.88 intake valve could easily have been a step backwards.

38E16E65-7C36-493E-A438-09CC7622A57D.png

This isn’t a comment on the porting efforts, but more of an observation about what you were starting with.

With no bowl blending or deshrouding in the chamber of any kind, I’d say the install of the 1.88 intake valve could easily have been a step backwards.

View attachment 1715892780

I agree. I wish I had been able to shave the chamber side down before the bigger valves were put in but I got them used. And the valves are now so close it was very difficult to do anything without touching the seat. So I ended up focusing on the bowls. That pic is what little I did on the chamber side but before touching the bowls.

It would have been a fun flow test....... before any porting was done.

I haven’t touched a 302 head in many years.

One of these days maybe one will show up at my door, and I can see if I still feel the same way about them as I did before.

Yeah it definitely would have been neat to see. I don’t intend on flowing these once done. Bolting them on and seeing how the car does. Guess I’ll find out at the track.

Car fired up and running. Lightly ported my intake. Didn’t go as far on the heads as others but did significant work and 3 angle valve job, plus having 1.88/1.60s in them. Headers. Car is an entirely different animal. Runs good and I’m pleased. Thanks for the input everyone.

A valve job is far more important than the grinding you are doing. I’m not trying to discourage your porting, but not doing a quality valve job is the worst decision you can make. All porting starts with the valve job.
Does it Start with the valve job, or wouldn't that be best conducted last?

Porting starts with the valve job. It’s what you do first. If you do it last you’ve done it backwards.
Wouldn't the head side of the valve job be at risk while grinding inside the head? I (am complete amateur) have had the burr 'catch' quite a few times. (and thank you) (not catch the valve job, but the cylinder head wall and leave my control for a second) (maybe risk catching the valve job)

Come on guys. You do a rough in valve job because the VJ is the guide to the throat and bowl porting. Then you do a finish valve job and final very light porting touch up. This procedure is moot if you are a CNC machine.

-
Back