"302" head question

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am porting/ polishing my exhaust ports on my 302 heads. I have done a couple of 915 heads and a slant head. My question is on the exhaust seat.These heads seem to be a little different than the others in the exhaust seat itself. I hope I can explain this correctly. The seat insert overhangs the bowl wall. Is this normal for these heads? If this is not clear enough I'll try to draw a picture of it. Thanks...............

So why would you want to use Ford heads.....JK :bootysha: Sorry, just got back from a tiring road trip and didn't have enough strength to hold back the wise a$$ in me.

Yeah its normal... I run 302 heads on a 273 and I noticed the same issue with my heads when I got them as cores. I would take them to a machine shop first and have them do a 80-degree (I hope that's right) bowl cut along with a rough cut valve job before you port. That ways you don't cut to much.. After the machine shop does the bowl and seat work, just blend the machined edge at the bottom of the cut in the bowl to the raw casting... Clean up the short turn radius and profile the valve guide boss too (now would be a good time to make sure you don't need new valve guides, if you do make sure the machine shop installs the BEFORE you do any grinding on the short turn radius or valve guide boss)..

Thanks for the replies. Its just hard to get used to these Ford heads.

Ford wishes they had something as good! LOL mike

-
Back